Dec 29, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
Not every first overall pick develops into a star, but plenty of them do and so far Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon is looking like he’ll be one of them.
He only turned 18 on Sept. 1, but he’s more than holding his own in his rookie season with eight goals, 21 points, and a plus-five rating in 37 games. Barring an injury, he’s currently on pace to finish with a points total in the ballpark of what John Tavares had in his rookie campaign.
P.A. Parenteau wasn’t around for Tavares’ first season, but he was united with the Islanders forward during his sophomore campaign. The two often played on the same line as Tavares developed into a superstar. Now with the Avalanche, Parenteau is getting some playing time with MacKinnon and sees similarities between the two former first overall picks.
“Nate is still learning the things that J.T. had to go through,” Parenteau told the Denver Post. “It takes some time. This is the toughest league in the world. But he’s going to get there. It’s scary how good he is already, and when you think that he’s barely 18, I mean, he’s going to be something when everything matures a little more.”
Avalanche coach Patrick Roy has been happy with MacKinnon’s development. Even in rough games like Friday’s 7-2 beating at the hands of the Chicago Blackhawks, MacKinnon could at least appreciate it as a learning experience.
He saw guys like Patrick Kane, yet another former first overall, and knows that with enough experience, the game will start to slow down for him too.
Until that happens, he’s still more than adequate.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)