Dec 29, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
Not every first overall pick develops into a star, but plenty of them do and so far Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon is looking like he’ll be one of them.
He only turned 18 on Sept. 1, but he’s more than holding his own in his rookie season with eight goals, 21 points, and a plus-five rating in 37 games. Barring an injury, he’s currently on pace to finish with a points total in the ballpark of what John Tavares had in his rookie campaign.
P.A. Parenteau wasn’t around for Tavares’ first season, but he was united with the Islanders forward during his sophomore campaign. The two often played on the same line as Tavares developed into a superstar. Now with the Avalanche, Parenteau is getting some playing time with MacKinnon and sees similarities between the two former first overall picks.
“Nate is still learning the things that J.T. had to go through,” Parenteau told the Denver Post. “It takes some time. This is the toughest league in the world. But he’s going to get there. It’s scary how good he is already, and when you think that he’s barely 18, I mean, he’s going to be something when everything matures a little more.”
Avalanche coach Patrick Roy has been happy with MacKinnon’s development. Even in rough games like Friday’s 7-2 beating at the hands of the Chicago Blackhawks, MacKinnon could at least appreciate it as a learning experience.
He saw guys like Patrick Kane, yet another former first overall, and knows that with enough experience, the game will start to slow down for him too.
Until that happens, he’s still more than adequate.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)