Dec 29, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers don’t have a lack of skilled forwards, but they haven’t been able to build around them yet. The hope that guys like 19-year-old Mitchell Moroz will prove to be valuable pieces of the puzzle.
They announced that Moroz has agreed to a three-year entry level contract. Edmonton spent the 32nd overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft to get him.
He has displayed some offensive capabilities in the Western Hockey League, but what sets him apart is his physical nature.
“He’s got a great attitude,” then Oilers GM Steve Tambellini told Sportsnet after drafting Moroz. “He’s got quite a presence for a young man. There’s a lot of upside there because he can contribute both with the puck and we obviously know that he’s got the courage to stand up and take care of a lot of people too.”
The 6-foot-3, 214-pound forward has 87 penalty minutes in 34 games with the Edmonton Oil Kings after accumulating 140 in 69 contests in 2012-13.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 0
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 5
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 9
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)