Dec 29, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
After missing 12 consecutive contests, 27-year-old forward Tyler Bozak is set to play tonight against the Carolina Hurricanes, according to TSN’s Jonas Siegel. He might not be a star player, but that’s big news for the Maple Leafs.
Before he suffered an oblique injury, Bozak was averaging 21:04 minutes per game and playing in all situations. He wasn’t off to a good start on the draw, but that’s still an important aspect of his game and an area where the Maple Leafs have struggled mightily this season.
Plus, as Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle noted, Bozak’s injury has stretched the Maple Leafs a little thin and forced players into roles they’re less accustomed to. This will certainly help solidify them up the middle while Dave Bolland continues to recover from an ankle injury.
Toronto has gone 5-5-2 during Bozak’s absence, with four of its five victories coming in either a shootout or overtime. The team has slipped away from the pack in the battle for the Atlantic Division title and is instead in danger of losing their playoff spot entirely. They have just a three-point edge in the race for the second Wild Card spot.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)