Dec 29, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
After missing 12 consecutive contests, 27-year-old forward Tyler Bozak is set to play tonight against the Carolina Hurricanes, according to TSN’s Jonas Siegel. He might not be a star player, but that’s big news for the Maple Leafs.
Before he suffered an oblique injury, Bozak was averaging 21:04 minutes per game and playing in all situations. He wasn’t off to a good start on the draw, but that’s still an important aspect of his game and an area where the Maple Leafs have struggled mightily this season.
Plus, as Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle noted, Bozak’s injury has stretched the Maple Leafs a little thin and forced players into roles they’re less accustomed to. This will certainly help solidify them up the middle while Dave Bolland continues to recover from an ankle injury.
Toronto has gone 5-5-2 during Bozak’s absence, with four of its five victories coming in either a shootout or overtime. The team has slipped away from the pack in the battle for the Atlantic Division title and is instead in danger of losing their playoff spot entirely. They have just a three-point edge in the race for the second Wild Card spot.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)