Dec 29, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
After missing 12 consecutive contests, 27-year-old forward Tyler Bozak is set to play tonight against the Carolina Hurricanes, according to TSN’s Jonas Siegel. He might not be a star player, but that’s big news for the Maple Leafs.
Before he suffered an oblique injury, Bozak was averaging 21:04 minutes per game and playing in all situations. He wasn’t off to a good start on the draw, but that’s still an important aspect of his game and an area where the Maple Leafs have struggled mightily this season.
Plus, as Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle noted, Bozak’s injury has stretched the Maple Leafs a little thin and forced players into roles they’re less accustomed to. This will certainly help solidify them up the middle while Dave Bolland continues to recover from an ankle injury.
Toronto has gone 5-5-2 during Bozak’s absence, with four of its five victories coming in either a shootout or overtime. The team has slipped away from the pack in the battle for the Atlantic Division title and is instead in danger of losing their playoff spot entirely. They have just a three-point edge in the race for the second Wild Card spot.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 54
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 55
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 162
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (164)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)