Dec 28, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will be without their captain against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
This season, the Isles have struggled terribly and are tied with the Edmonton Oilers for second-fewest points in the league ahead of only the Buffalo Sabres. Tavares has 13 goals and 39 points, good for a tie with Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz for 10th in the league.
According to Islanders Point Blank, Tavares had played in 246 consecutive games, good for fifth-best all-time in team history.
For what it’s worth, Nelson has three goals and nine points this season. The 2010 first-round pick will be getting a big chance to show what he’s got playing on a line (likely) with Thomas Vanek and Kyle Okposo.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)