Dec 28, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will be without their captain against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
This season, the Isles have struggled terribly and are tied with the Edmonton Oilers for second-fewest points in the league ahead of only the Buffalo Sabres. Tavares has 13 goals and 39 points, good for a tie with Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz for 10th in the league.
According to Islanders Point Blank, Tavares had played in 246 consecutive games, good for fifth-best all-time in team history.
For what it’s worth, Nelson has three goals and nine points this season. The 2010 first-round pick will be getting a big chance to show what he’s got playing on a line (likely) with Thomas Vanek and Kyle Okposo.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5