Dec 28, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will be without their captain against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
This season, the Isles have struggled terribly and are tied with the Edmonton Oilers for second-fewest points in the league ahead of only the Buffalo Sabres. Tavares has 13 goals and 39 points, good for a tie with Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz for 10th in the league.
According to Islanders Point Blank, Tavares had played in 246 consecutive games, good for fifth-best all-time in team history.
For what it’s worth, Nelson has three goals and nine points this season. The 2010 first-round pick will be getting a big chance to show what he’s got playing on a line (likely) with Thomas Vanek and Kyle Okposo.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)