Dec 28, 2013, 12:52 PM EST
The New York Islanders will be without their captain against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
This season, the Isles have struggled terribly and are tied with the Edmonton Oilers for second-fewest points in the league ahead of only the Buffalo Sabres. Tavares has 13 goals and 39 points, good for a tie with Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz for 10th in the league.
According to Islanders Point Blank, Tavares had played in 246 consecutive games, good for fifth-best all-time in team history.
For what it’s worth, Nelson has three goals and nine points this season. The 2010 first-round pick will be getting a big chance to show what he’s got playing on a line (likely) with Thomas Vanek and Kyle Okposo.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)