Dec 28, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
Quite a few streaks – some great, some lousy – were on the line on Saturday, most notably the Anaheim Ducks’ impressive winning run. Let’s take a look at a few of the more interesting ones in a single, tidy post:
Anaheim 3, Phoenix 2 (OT)
The Ducks have now won 10 games in a row thanks to Saku Koivu, who scored two goals (including the game-winner). The Coyotes likely feel about the opposite of Anaheim right now; while the Ducks are on that historic run, Phoenix has lost three in a row and six of its last seven games. On the bright side, they’re collecting points; five consecutive contests have gone beyond regulation and they squeezed into OT by scoring two goals in about four minutes late in tonight’s contest. Still, they might regret this lull if they’re fighting for a playoff spot toward April.
(Anaheim, on the other hand, might just be jockeying for the best seed. The Ducks haven’t just won a lot, they’ve also braved a road-heavy schedule; they have eight more home than away games remaining, even after this win in Anaheim.)
Montreal 2, Tampa Bay 1 (SO)
The Canadiens ended the Lightning’s five-game winning streak on Saturday. With this win, Carey Price (18-11-2) isn’t that far behind Ben Bishop (20-5-3) in the wins department. Both are enjoying excellent seasons, which is why it probably shouldn’t be surprising that each goalie only allowed one goal before the shootout.
Nashville 3, Los Angeles 2
The streaky Predators came out on top in a game that featured a wild finish, ending their five-game losing streak in the process. Mike Fisher scored 16:42 into the third period, Jeff Carter tied things up 2-2 with 37 seconds left and then Fisher scored a goal that ended up being reviewed 10 seconds later to win the game.
Check out today’s other posts for more results, although you might want to check back on Sunday morning for bits about the New Jersey Devils’ 2-1 win against the New York Islanders …
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50