Dec 28, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
There was some concern for Downie, 26, as he suffered a frightening concussion that sidelined him for four contests during his first game back with the Flyers on Nov. 1.
Despite those two injuries and being traded from the Colorado Avalanche, the agitating forward has been pretty successful in a contract year. Along with pushing opponents’ buttons as usual (67 PIM in 31 games), Downie continues to show that he’s one of the rare tough guys with a knack for scoring, as he has 19 points.
The Flyers have won three of their last four games, so perhaps they can keep building momentum as they get a useful player back in the lineup. Downie only missed two contests thanks in part to the holiday break.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 3
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 16
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (78)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)