Dec 28, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
The St. Louis Blues will have to make do without their top goal scorer.
Alexander Steen was placed on injured reserve and will be out indefinitely with a concussion as Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. Steen’s 24 goals this season put him second in the NHL behind only Alex Ovechkin.
Steen was was listed as day-to-day on Sunday and hasn’t played since last Saturday against Edmonton. He was already slated to miss tonight’s game against Chicago but now he’ll be out further.
With Steen out, the goal scoring will fall to captain David Backes as well as Chris Stewart, Jaden Schwartz, and Vladimir Tarasenko to pick up the slack. Through 35 games, Steen matched his career-high in goals. Replacing that kind of output will not be easy.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 13
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 2
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 77
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2