Dec 28, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will have to make do without their top goal scorer.
Alexander Steen was placed on injured reserve and will be out indefinitely with a concussion as Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. Steen’s 24 goals this season put him second in the NHL behind only Alex Ovechkin.
Steen was was listed as day-to-day on Sunday and hasn’t played since last Saturday against Edmonton. He was already slated to miss tonight’s game against Chicago but now he’ll be out further.
With Steen out, the goal scoring will fall to captain David Backes as well as Chris Stewart, Jaden Schwartz, and Vladimir Tarasenko to pick up the slack. Through 35 games, Steen matched his career-high in goals. Replacing that kind of output will not be easy.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)