Dec 28, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will have to make do without their top goal scorer.
Alexander Steen was placed on injured reserve and will be out indefinitely with a concussion as Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. Steen’s 24 goals this season put him second in the NHL behind only Alex Ovechkin.
Steen was was listed as day-to-day on Sunday and hasn’t played since last Saturday against Edmonton. He was already slated to miss tonight’s game against Chicago but now he’ll be out further.
With Steen out, the goal scoring will fall to captain David Backes as well as Chris Stewart, Jaden Schwartz, and Vladimir Tarasenko to pick up the slack. Through 35 games, Steen matched his career-high in goals. Replacing that kind of output will not be easy.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)