Dec 28, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
Red Wings forward Darren Helm really wants to take part in the Winter Classic, he’s just not sure he’ll be able to.
The speedy forward has been dealing with a shoulder injury and, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, it’s not improving very quickly.
“It’s not where I want it to be at this stage,” Helm said Saturday. “I thought I was going to be questionable for the last game before the break, and I thought for sure I’d be ready for tonight, but that’s not the case.”
The Red Wings face the Florida Panthers tonight in Sunrise and the Nashville Predators on Monday in Tennessee before heading to Ann Arbor for the Winter Classic.
Helm has already missed time this season with a back injury, but when he’s played he’s been effective scoring seven goals and 10 points in 15 games.
If he misses this year’s Winter Classic, it’ll make the second one he’s missed as he was in the AHL for the 2009 Winter Classic in Chicago. He did play in 16 games that season for the Wings.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53