Dec 28, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
Red Wings forward Darren Helm really wants to take part in the Winter Classic, he’s just not sure he’ll be able to.
The speedy forward has been dealing with a shoulder injury and, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, it’s not improving very quickly.
“It’s not where I want it to be at this stage,” Helm said Saturday. “I thought I was going to be questionable for the last game before the break, and I thought for sure I’d be ready for tonight, but that’s not the case.”
The Red Wings face the Florida Panthers tonight in Sunrise and the Nashville Predators on Monday in Tennessee before heading to Ann Arbor for the Winter Classic.
Helm has already missed time this season with a back injury, but when he’s played he’s been effective scoring seven goals and 10 points in 15 games.
If he misses this year’s Winter Classic, it’ll make the second one he’s missed as he was in the AHL for the 2009 Winter Classic in Chicago. He did play in 16 games that season for the Wings.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)