Dec 28, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
Red Wings forward Darren Helm really wants to take part in the Winter Classic, he’s just not sure he’ll be able to.
The speedy forward has been dealing with a shoulder injury and, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, it’s not improving very quickly.
“It’s not where I want it to be at this stage,” Helm said Saturday. “I thought I was going to be questionable for the last game before the break, and I thought for sure I’d be ready for tonight, but that’s not the case.”
The Red Wings face the Florida Panthers tonight in Sunrise and the Nashville Predators on Monday in Tennessee before heading to Ann Arbor for the Winter Classic.
Helm has already missed time this season with a back injury, but when he’s played he’s been effective scoring seven goals and 10 points in 15 games.
If he misses this year’s Winter Classic, it’ll make the second one he’s missed as he was in the AHL for the 2009 Winter Classic in Chicago. He did play in 16 games that season for the Wings.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)