Dec 28, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
Red Wings forward Darren Helm really wants to take part in the Winter Classic, he’s just not sure he’ll be able to.
The speedy forward has been dealing with a shoulder injury and, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, it’s not improving very quickly.
“It’s not where I want it to be at this stage,” Helm said Saturday. “I thought I was going to be questionable for the last game before the break, and I thought for sure I’d be ready for tonight, but that’s not the case.”
The Red Wings face the Florida Panthers tonight in Sunrise and the Nashville Predators on Monday in Tennessee before heading to Ann Arbor for the Winter Classic.
Helm has already missed time this season with a back injury, but when he’s played he’s been effective scoring seven goals and 10 points in 15 games.
If he misses this year’s Winter Classic, it’ll make the second one he’s missed as he was in the AHL for the 2009 Winter Classic in Chicago. He did play in 16 games that season for the Wings.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (146)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)