Dec 28, 2013, 12:06 AM EDT
For the third straight game, the San Jose Sharks won in a shootout. Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau beat goaltender Mike Smith in the first two rounds of the skills competition to earn a 4-3 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes.
Phoenix struck first, but forward Joe Pavelski got the Sharks on the board midway through the second period with his seventh goal in his last eight contests. That being said, Joe Thornton played a big role in this one by drawing the entire Coyotes team to him, to set the stage for Pavelski’s shot:
Pavelski and Thornton each picked up assists on Brent Burns‘ third period goal to give the Sharks a 3-2 lead near the midway point of the third frame. That edge only lasted for 3:25 minutes before Radim Vrbata picked up a power-play marker.
This win moves the Sharks into a tie with the Los Angeles Kings for second place in the Pacific Division as far as points go, although the Kings control the tiebreaker of regulation plus overtime victories. Meanwhile, the Coyotes have now collected at least a point in four straight games as they continue to fight for a Wild Card spot.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)