Dec 28, 2013, 12:06 AM EDT
For the third straight game, the San Jose Sharks won in a shootout. Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau beat goaltender Mike Smith in the first two rounds of the skills competition to earn a 4-3 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes.
Phoenix struck first, but forward Joe Pavelski got the Sharks on the board midway through the second period with his seventh goal in his last eight contests. That being said, Joe Thornton played a big role in this one by drawing the entire Coyotes team to him, to set the stage for Pavelski’s shot:
Pavelski and Thornton each picked up assists on Brent Burns‘ third period goal to give the Sharks a 3-2 lead near the midway point of the third frame. That edge only lasted for 3:25 minutes before Radim Vrbata picked up a power-play marker.
This win moves the Sharks into a tie with the Los Angeles Kings for second place in the Pacific Division as far as points go, although the Kings control the tiebreaker of regulation plus overtime victories. Meanwhile, the Coyotes have now collected at least a point in four straight games as they continue to fight for a Wild Card spot.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)