Dec 28, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Zetterberg himself yielded immediate dividends, as he scored his 12th goal of the season. Abdelkader didn’t collect a point tonight, but the Red Wings are likely happy to have that physical force back in the lineup (three hits).
Maybe tonight’s victory doesn’t sound very impressive out of context – Florida has now lost three games in a row – but the Panthers beat Detroit twice in a row, so there must be a feeling of relief for the Red Wings.
It’s another relief that the Red Wings have been curiously stronger on the road (now 12-3-3 away from Hockeytown) compared to how mediocre they have been in Detroit (6-10-6), because they’re readying for a tough run of games. They face the Predators in Nashville on Monday, “host” Toronto outdoors on Wednesday and then play five straight games on the road against tough Pacific Division competition.
At least they’re getting healthier as that tough stretch (and the 2014 Winter Classic) approaches.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 57
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (61)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)