Dec 28, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins defense already might have felt scatterbrained on Saturday following the stunning news of Dennis Seidenberg‘s season-ending injury, and now they’ll be without all-world asset Zdeno Chara, too.
The Bruins announced that Chara, 36, is day-to-day, but they didn’t specify what exactly is bothering the gigantic blueliner. Spezza, 30, is dealing with a lower-body issue.
The Big Z is one of the league’s sturdiest defensemen despite a rugged style; according to the Hockey News’ listings, he hasn’t sat out a game since missing a pair of contests with a leg injury back in late 2011.
It’s not the only loss for Ottawa, either, as stay-at-home defenseman Chris Phillips also has a lower-body injury (specifically a left foot problem) that will keep him out of the lineup.
The precise severity of the issues for the two teams’ stars is unclear, yet it seems like both squads may limp into 2014.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (147)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)