Dec 28, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins defense already might have felt scatterbrained on Saturday following the stunning news of Dennis Seidenberg‘s season-ending injury, and now they’ll be without all-world asset Zdeno Chara, too.
The Bruins announced that Chara, 36, is day-to-day, but they didn’t specify what exactly is bothering the gigantic blueliner. Spezza, 30, is dealing with a lower-body issue.
The Big Z is one of the league’s sturdiest defensemen despite a rugged style; according to the Hockey News’ listings, he hasn’t sat out a game since missing a pair of contests with a leg injury back in late 2011.
It’s not the only loss for Ottawa, either, as stay-at-home defenseman Chris Phillips also has a lower-body injury (specifically a left foot problem) that will keep him out of the lineup.
The precise severity of the issues for the two teams’ stars is unclear, yet it seems like both squads may limp into 2014.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)