Dec 28, 2013, 6:43 PM EST
The Boston Bruins defense already might have felt scatterbrained on Saturday following the stunning news of Dennis Seidenberg‘s season-ending injury, and now they’ll be without all-world asset Zdeno Chara, too.
The Bruins announced that Chara, 36, is day-to-day, but they didn’t specify what exactly is bothering the gigantic blueliner. Spezza, 30, is dealing with a lower-body issue.
The Big Z is one of the league’s sturdiest defensemen despite a rugged style; according to the Hockey News’ listings, he hasn’t sat out a game since missing a pair of contests with a leg injury back in late 2011.
It’s not the only loss for Ottawa, either, as stay-at-home defenseman Chris Phillips also has a lower-body injury (specifically a left foot problem) that will keep him out of the lineup.
The precise severity of the issues for the two teams’ stars is unclear, yet it seems like both squads may limp into 2014.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 11
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)