Dec 27, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
After playing a season-low 6:29 in Edmonton’s 6-2 win over Winnipeg prior to the holiday break, Nail Yakupov is looking to get back to a healthy dose of playing time — if only to stay warm.
“I can’t say it was good,” Yakupov told the Edmonton Journal. “I want to play more. It’s pretty cold on the bench, but I have to work in practice and find more minutes.”
Even though the 20-year-old scored two points (1G, 1A) against the Jets, head coach Dallas Eakins had him bolted to the pine for the majority of the night. Yakupov played two shifts in the first period, two in the second, then four in the final frame — when the game was basically settled — that prompted questions of Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish.
Specifically, should the Oilers have considered sending Yakupov to AHL Oklahoma City over the holiday break, like they did with Magnus Paajarvi during his sophomore campaign?
No way, said MacT, adding “I don’t think it’s going to serve him well.”
The Oilers take on Alberta rivals Calgary at the Saddledome tonight. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of minutes Yakupov gets against a team he’s had great success against, scoring three goals and five points in six career games against the Flames.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 5
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)