Dec 27, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
After playing a season-low 6:29 in Edmonton’s 6-2 win over Winnipeg prior to the holiday break, Nail Yakupov is looking to get back to a healthy dose of playing time — if only to stay warm.
“I can’t say it was good,” Yakupov told the Edmonton Journal. “I want to play more. It’s pretty cold on the bench, but I have to work in practice and find more minutes.”
Even though the 20-year-old scored two points (1G, 1A) against the Jets, head coach Dallas Eakins had him bolted to the pine for the majority of the night. Yakupov played two shifts in the first period, two in the second, then four in the final frame — when the game was basically settled — that prompted questions of Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish.
Specifically, should the Oilers have considered sending Yakupov to AHL Oklahoma City over the holiday break, like they did with Magnus Paajarvi during his sophomore campaign?
No way, said MacT, adding “I don’t think it’s going to serve him well.”
The Oilers take on Alberta rivals Calgary at the Saddledome tonight. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of minutes Yakupov gets against a team he’s had great success against, scoring three goals and five points in six career games against the Flames.
Mar 15, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Just one of those days for Pittsburgh.
Mar 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Al Montoya will start in his place.
Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
They’re already without six forwards.
Mar 15, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Blue line woes hit Buffalo.
Mar 15, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Taylor Pyatt takes his spot on the top line.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
He has zero goals in six games.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
He hasn’t played since the Olympics.
Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Going from up 3-1 to down 5-3 makes for a bad night.
Mar 15, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
He was injured March 8 against Minnesota.
Mar 15, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
He could play Sunday against Detroit.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Everyone else more or less lost or was inactive.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
The two teams combined for nine goals in the second period.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Rangers buy some breathing room via Carl Hagelin’s hat trick.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
A showdown between former Canucks goalies goes badly for NJ.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Not that they’re without problems.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Good news for a team giving up a lot of shots.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
He’s questionable to return with an undisclosed injury.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Beauty of a pass to Tom Wilson.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
On the left side, though.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
The player also responds.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 58
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (58)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)