Dec 27, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
The New York Islanders can’t afford to be without captain John Tavares right now, but they might not have a choice.
He missed the Islanders’ first practice since the holiday break due to a lower-body injury, putting his status for Saturday’s game is in question.
“Anytime your captain is out, you have some concern, there’s no question,” Capuano told Newsday.
As we approach the halfway point of the 2013-14 campaign, the Islanders are nine points out of a playoff spot. That’s not an insurmountable deficit, but they need a lot to go right for them to capture a postseason berth.
Tavares has been averaging roughly a point-per-game, but there’s not much to like about their offense beyond him. As it is, they are in the bottom third of the league when it comes to goals per game.
Fortunately for New York, this ailment isn’t believed to be a long-term issue, according to Newsday’s Arthur Staple. So maybe the Islanders’ best hope will still be available as they struggle to turn their season around.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)