Dec 27, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
The New York Islanders can’t afford to be without captain John Tavares right now, but they might not have a choice.
He missed the Islanders’ first practice since the holiday break due to a lower-body injury, putting his status for Saturday’s game is in question.
“Anytime your captain is out, you have some concern, there’s no question,” Capuano told Newsday.
As we approach the halfway point of the 2013-14 campaign, the Islanders are nine points out of a playoff spot. That’s not an insurmountable deficit, but they need a lot to go right for them to capture a postseason berth.
Tavares has been averaging roughly a point-per-game, but there’s not much to like about their offense beyond him. As it is, they are in the bottom third of the league when it comes to goals per game.
Fortunately for New York, this ailment isn’t believed to be a long-term issue, according to Newsday’s Arthur Staple. So maybe the Islanders’ best hope will still be available as they struggle to turn their season around.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)