Dec 27, 2013, 5:52 PM EST
The New York Islanders can’t afford to be without captain John Tavares right now, but they might not have a choice.
He missed the Islanders’ first practice since the holiday break due to a lower-body injury, putting his status for Saturday’s game is in question.
“Anytime your captain is out, you have some concern, there’s no question,” Capuano told Newsday.
As we approach the halfway point of the 2013-14 campaign, the Islanders are nine points out of a playoff spot. That’s not an insurmountable deficit, but they need a lot to go right for them to capture a postseason berth.
Tavares has been averaging roughly a point-per-game, but there’s not much to like about their offense beyond him. As it is, they are in the bottom third of the league when it comes to goals per game.
Fortunately for New York, this ailment isn’t believed to be a long-term issue, according to Newsday’s Arthur Staple. So maybe the Islanders’ best hope will still be available as they struggle to turn their season around.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 12
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 36
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)