Dec 27, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Dallas has placed Sergei Gonchar on injured reserve with concussion-like symptoms, meaning he’ll miss his second straight contest when the Stars host Nashville on Friday night.
“[Gonchar’s] still not feeling quite right,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told the team website. “We’ve got to get him through that and when we do, he’ll start to exercise again.”
Gonchar, 39, was hurt during last weekend’s shootout loss in San Jose and sat out Monday’s 5-2 win over the Kings in Los Angeles. The veteran defenseman hasn’t had a tremendous year — no goals, 12 assists through 35 games — but was a key figure on the blueline, averaging over 19 minutes per game.
Losing Gonchar means Dallas now has its three most experienced blueliners on the shelf, as 36-year-old Stephane Robidas is out with a broken leg while 30-year-old Trevor Daley is sidelined with an ankle sprain.
With those three out the Stars are extremely young on the back end. Against Los Angeles, a trio of 23-year-olds — Cameron Gaunce, Kevin Connauton and Brenden Dillion — were relied upon heavily.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)