Dec 27, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
Dallas has placed Sergei Gonchar on injured reserve with concussion-like symptoms, meaning he’ll miss his second straight contest when the Stars host Nashville on Friday night.
“[Gonchar’s] still not feeling quite right,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told the team website. “We’ve got to get him through that and when we do, he’ll start to exercise again.”
Gonchar, 39, was hurt during last weekend’s shootout loss in San Jose and sat out Monday’s 5-2 win over the Kings in Los Angeles. The veteran defenseman hasn’t had a tremendous year — no goals, 12 assists through 35 games — but was a key figure on the blueline, averaging over 19 minutes per game.
Losing Gonchar means Dallas now has its three most experienced blueliners on the shelf, as 36-year-old Stephane Robidas is out with a broken leg while 30-year-old Trevor Daley is sidelined with an ankle sprain.
With those three out the Stars are extremely young on the back end. Against Los Angeles, a trio of 23-year-olds — Cameron Gaunce, Kevin Connauton and Brenden Dillion — were relied upon heavily.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)