Dec 27, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Dallas has placed Sergei Gonchar on injured reserve with concussion-like symptoms, meaning he’ll miss his second straight contest when the Stars host Nashville on Friday night.
“[Gonchar's] still not feeling quite right,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told the team website. “We’ve got to get him through that and when we do, he’ll start to exercise again.”
Gonchar, 39, was hurt during last weekend’s shootout loss in San Jose and sat out Monday’s 5-2 win over the Kings in Los Angeles. The veteran defenseman hasn’t had a tremendous year — no goals, 12 assists through 35 games — but was a key figure on the blueline, averaging over 19 minutes per game.
Losing Gonchar means Dallas now has its three most experienced blueliners on the shelf, as 36-year-old Stephane Robidas is out with a broken leg while 30-year-old Trevor Daley is sidelined with an ankle sprain.
With those three out the Stars are extremely young on the back end. Against Los Angeles, a trio of 23-year-olds — Cameron Gaunce, Kevin Connauton and Brenden Dillion — were relied upon heavily.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)