Dec 27, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Dallas has placed Sergei Gonchar on injured reserve with concussion-like symptoms, meaning he’ll miss his second straight contest when the Stars host Nashville on Friday night.
“[Gonchar's] still not feeling quite right,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told the team website. “We’ve got to get him through that and when we do, he’ll start to exercise again.”
Gonchar, 39, was hurt during last weekend’s shootout loss in San Jose and sat out Monday’s 5-2 win over the Kings in Los Angeles. The veteran defenseman hasn’t had a tremendous year — no goals, 12 assists through 35 games — but was a key figure on the blueline, averaging over 19 minutes per game.
Losing Gonchar means Dallas now has its three most experienced blueliners on the shelf, as 36-year-old Stephane Robidas is out with a broken leg while 30-year-old Trevor Daley is sidelined with an ankle sprain.
With those three out the Stars are extremely young on the back end. Against Los Angeles, a trio of 23-year-olds — Cameron Gaunce, Kevin Connauton and Brenden Dillion — were relied upon heavily.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)