Dec 27, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Dallas has placed Sergei Gonchar on injured reserve with concussion-like symptoms, meaning he’ll miss his second straight contest when the Stars host Nashville on Friday night.
“[Gonchar’s] still not feeling quite right,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told the team website. “We’ve got to get him through that and when we do, he’ll start to exercise again.”
Gonchar, 39, was hurt during last weekend’s shootout loss in San Jose and sat out Monday’s 5-2 win over the Kings in Los Angeles. The veteran defenseman hasn’t had a tremendous year — no goals, 12 assists through 35 games — but was a key figure on the blueline, averaging over 19 minutes per game.
Losing Gonchar means Dallas now has its three most experienced blueliners on the shelf, as 36-year-old Stephane Robidas is out with a broken leg while 30-year-old Trevor Daley is sidelined with an ankle sprain.
With those three out the Stars are extremely young on the back end. Against Los Angeles, a trio of 23-year-olds — Cameron Gaunce, Kevin Connauton and Brenden Dillion — were relied upon heavily.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)