Dec 27, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are getting ready to play against the Chicago Blackhawks tonight. It’s a chance for the Avalanche to try and narrow the nine-point gap between them and the Central Division leaders.
They might win the night, but surprisingly not even Colorado coach Patrick Roy thinks they’ll win the race.
“We know that Chicago is going to be on top in our [division],” Roy told NHL.com’s Brian Hedger. “We don’t think we’re going to battle with Chicago in the standings.
“I’d like to be very positive, but at the same time I see where we are and this is a very good team [we’re playing].”
Coaches paint their team as the underdogs all the time, but to preemptively declare the other squad as the victors is pretty rare. Even still, perhaps he hopes it will light a fire under his struggling players.
The Avalanche got off to a 14-2-0 start this season, but they’ve been just 9-8-3 since then. They have also dropped three of their last four contests, although two of those defeats came in shootouts.
This will be their second contest against Chicago this season. Colorado earned a 5-1 victory over the Blackhawks on Nov. 19.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)