Dec 27, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are getting ready to play against the Chicago Blackhawks tonight. It’s a chance for the Avalanche to try and narrow the nine-point gap between them and the Central Division leaders.
They might win the night, but surprisingly not even Colorado coach Patrick Roy thinks they’ll win the race.
“We know that Chicago is going to be on top in our [division],” Roy told NHL.com’s Brian Hedger. “We don’t think we’re going to battle with Chicago in the standings.
“I’d like to be very positive, but at the same time I see where we are and this is a very good team [we’re playing].”
Coaches paint their team as the underdogs all the time, but to preemptively declare the other squad as the victors is pretty rare. Even still, perhaps he hopes it will light a fire under his struggling players.
The Avalanche got off to a 14-2-0 start this season, but they’ve been just 9-8-3 since then. They have also dropped three of their last four contests, although two of those defeats came in shootouts.
This will be their second contest against Chicago this season. Colorado earned a 5-1 victory over the Blackhawks on Nov. 19.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)