Dec 27, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Alex Petrovic has spent most of this season in the American Hockey League.
His first appearance at the NHL level – just over 15 minutes of ice time – ended in a 6-1 loss for his Florida Panthers against their state rivals, the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday. He was re-assigned to the San Antonio Rampage the next day, as per the Miami Herald.
At just 21 years old, and a second-round pick of the Panthers in the 2010 NHL Draft, it would appear he still remains a valuable prospect in their system but just needs some refining to his game, both on and off the ice.
“He’s a work in progress and has played well lately,” San Antonio Rampage assistant general manager Mike Santos told the Miami Herald.
“He’s still a young guy, only in his second year. He needs to get physically stronger to play the type of game he likes to play. He’s a big kid but needs to fill in. I think once he does that, everything else will fall in for him.”
Last season, with the Panthers very much out of the playoff race in late April, Petrovic appeared in six games for Florida.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)