Dec 27, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Alex Petrovic has spent most of this season in the American Hockey League.
His first appearance at the NHL level – just over 15 minutes of ice time – ended in a 6-1 loss for his Florida Panthers against their state rivals, the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday. He was re-assigned to the San Antonio Rampage the next day, as per the Miami Herald.
At just 21 years old, and a second-round pick of the Panthers in the 2010 NHL Draft, it would appear he still remains a valuable prospect in their system but just needs some refining to his game, both on and off the ice.
“He’s a work in progress and has played well lately,” San Antonio Rampage assistant general manager Mike Santos told the Miami Herald.
“He’s still a young guy, only in his second year. He needs to get physically stronger to play the type of game he likes to play. He’s a big kid but needs to fill in. I think once he does that, everything else will fall in for him.”
Last season, with the Panthers very much out of the playoff race in late April, Petrovic appeared in six games for Florida.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)