Dec 27, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Alex Petrovic has spent most of this season in the American Hockey League.
His first appearance at the NHL level – just over 15 minutes of ice time – ended in a 6-1 loss for his Florida Panthers against their state rivals, the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday. He was re-assigned to the San Antonio Rampage the next day, as per the Miami Herald.
At just 21 years old, and a second-round pick of the Panthers in the 2010 NHL Draft, it would appear he still remains a valuable prospect in their system but just needs some refining to his game, both on and off the ice.
“He’s a work in progress and has played well lately,” San Antonio Rampage assistant general manager Mike Santos told the Miami Herald.
“He’s still a young guy, only in his second year. He needs to get physically stronger to play the type of game he likes to play. He’s a big kid but needs to fill in. I think once he does that, everything else will fall in for him.”
Last season, with the Panthers very much out of the playoff race in late April, Petrovic appeared in six games for Florida.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)