Dec 27, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Alex Petrovic has spent most of this season in the American Hockey League.
His first appearance at the NHL level – just over 15 minutes of ice time – ended in a 6-1 loss for his Florida Panthers against their state rivals, the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday. He was re-assigned to the San Antonio Rampage the next day, as per the Miami Herald.
At just 21 years old, and a second-round pick of the Panthers in the 2010 NHL Draft, it would appear he still remains a valuable prospect in their system but just needs some refining to his game, both on and off the ice.
“He’s a work in progress and has played well lately,” San Antonio Rampage assistant general manager Mike Santos told the Miami Herald.
“He’s still a young guy, only in his second year. He needs to get physically stronger to play the type of game he likes to play. He’s a big kid but needs to fill in. I think once he does that, everything else will fall in for him.”
Last season, with the Panthers very much out of the playoff race in late April, Petrovic appeared in six games for Florida.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)