Dec 27, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Alex Petrovic has spent most of this season in the American Hockey League.
His first appearance at the NHL level – just over 15 minutes of ice time – ended in a 6-1 loss for his Florida Panthers against their state rivals, the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday. He was re-assigned to the San Antonio Rampage the next day, as per the Miami Herald.
At just 21 years old, and a second-round pick of the Panthers in the 2010 NHL Draft, it would appear he still remains a valuable prospect in their system but just needs some refining to his game, both on and off the ice.
“He’s a work in progress and has played well lately,” San Antonio Rampage assistant general manager Mike Santos told the Miami Herald.
“He’s still a young guy, only in his second year. He needs to get physically stronger to play the type of game he likes to play. He’s a big kid but needs to fill in. I think once he does that, everything else will fall in for him.”
Last season, with the Panthers very much out of the playoff race in late April, Petrovic appeared in six games for Florida.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)