Dec 27, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Pegged by many as a movable asset for the Sabres at the trade deadline, Matt Moulson might end up staying in Buffalo beyond Mar. 5.
“Definitely, I think there is,” Moulson told CBC when asked about the possibility of re-signing in Buffalo. “I don’t know what they think of me. I love playing for Teddy [Nolan].”
Acquired from the Islanders in late October for as part of the Thomas Vanek deal, Moulson has performed well for the Sabres, scoring six goals and 15 points in 24 games.
(Comparatively, Vanek has nine goals and 17 points in 22 contests.)
When the trade first broke, Moulson — a UFA at season’s end — looked like he’d be on the move soon again. The Sabres were losing, the youth movement was underway and it seemed like a full-scale rebuild was on, hardly the kind of situation 30-year-old free agent longs to be in.
But, things changed.
The Sabres turfed Ron Rolston and Darcy Regier, hired Nolan and Pat LaFontaine, sent a crop of youngsters back to the AHL/Juniors and, over the last two weeks, actually started playing some good hockey — Buffalo is 4-4-2 in its last 10, pulling off impressive victories over the likes of Boston and Phoenix.
“From where we were to where we want to be is obviously a process,” Moulson explained. “But I think we’ve made some huge strides.”
Moulson — in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal — isn’t the only key veteran UFA Buffalo has to deal with. Goalie Ryan Miller is still twisting in the wind, and has remained noncommittal about his future.
“I think they’re trying to figure out guys they want to hang on to and they think they can build a core around,” Miller said, per the Buffalo News. “We’ll see how it goes.”
Wherever Miller ends up signing, it doesn’t sound like he’ll be doing it for cheap. Not after Henrik Lundqvist got a seven-year, $59.5 million extension with the Rangers, a deal that Miller feels “sets the standards” for goalies.
At 33 years old, the next contract Miller signs figures to be his last big one. If it’s going to be with the Sabres, he wants more than promises that the team will be back out of the NHL’s basement soon.
“I’ve heard a lot of talk over my time,” he said “It’s about actions at this point. I’m not going to sit around and let promises get thrown around.”
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (144)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)