Dec 27, 2013, 8:54 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild have averaged just 2.13 goals per game this season and entered tonight’s contest without Zach Parise. Despite that, Winnipeg Jets goaltender Ondrej Pavelec allowed three goals on seven shots in just 7:04 minutes.
After that display, the Jets yanked him in favor of Al Montoya.
And yet Winnipeg is far from out of this contest — in fact, they were on top going into the first intermission.
Minnesota netminder Niklas Backstrom turned aside just seven of 11 shots through 20 minutes. He has now allowed at least three goals in each of his last six starts.
If the Wild wish to take him out of the game, then 21-year-old netminder Johan Gustafsson will make his NHL debut. Josh Harding didn’t dress tonight, although he has been activated off of the injured reserve list.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)