Dec 27, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild have averaged just 2.13 goals per game this season and entered tonight’s contest without Zach Parise. Despite that, Winnipeg Jets goaltender Ondrej Pavelec allowed three goals on seven shots in just 7:04 minutes.
After that display, the Jets yanked him in favor of Al Montoya.
And yet Winnipeg is far from out of this contest — in fact, they were on top going into the first intermission.
Minnesota netminder Niklas Backstrom turned aside just seven of 11 shots through 20 minutes. He has now allowed at least three goals in each of his last six starts.
If the Wild wish to take him out of the game, then 21-year-old netminder Johan Gustafsson will make his NHL debut. Josh Harding didn’t dress tonight, although he has been activated off of the injured reserve list.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 13
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 28
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42