Dec 27, 2013, 1:10 AM EST
Coming off a second-round playoff exit in the spring, there were higher expectations of the Ottawa Senators in the fall.
But the results so far haven’t met the standard set prior to the start of the 2013-14 season. The Senators, with a new captain this season in Jason Spezza after Daniel Alfredsson signed with the Detroit Red Wings, resume the NHL schedule after the break against the Boston Bruins on Friday.
They currently sit sixth in the Atlantic Division, with a 15-17-7 record and 37 points. They trail the Toronto Maple Leafs, fifth in the same division, by four points.
Prior to their surprising 5-0 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday, the Senators had lost three straight and four of five games.
“It’s a tough a league. I don’t think we expected to be at the top but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think we’d be in a better position than we are right now,” Senators veteran defenseman Chris Phillips told the Ottawa Sun.
“Internally, we probably have the highest expectations of anybody. That’s the nature of who we are. We saw what we can accomplish last year and we thought this year would be better. It’s been a struggle.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)