Dec 27, 2013, 1:10 AM EDT
Coming off a second-round playoff exit in the spring, there were higher expectations of the Ottawa Senators in the fall.
But the results so far haven’t met the standard set prior to the start of the 2013-14 season. The Senators, with a new captain this season in Jason Spezza after Daniel Alfredsson signed with the Detroit Red Wings, resume the NHL schedule after the break against the Boston Bruins on Friday.
They currently sit sixth in the Atlantic Division, with a 15-17-7 record and 37 points. They trail the Toronto Maple Leafs, fifth in the same division, by four points.
Prior to their surprising 5-0 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday, the Senators had lost three straight and four of five games.
“It’s a tough a league. I don’t think we expected to be at the top but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think we’d be in a better position than we are right now,” Senators veteran defenseman Chris Phillips told the Ottawa Sun.
“Internally, we probably have the highest expectations of anybody. That’s the nature of who we are. We saw what we can accomplish last year and we thought this year would be better. It’s been a struggle.”
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 5
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)