Dec 27, 2013, 1:10 AM EDT
Coming off a second-round playoff exit in the spring, there were higher expectations of the Ottawa Senators in the fall.
But the results so far haven’t met the standard set prior to the start of the 2013-14 season. The Senators, with a new captain this season in Jason Spezza after Daniel Alfredsson signed with the Detroit Red Wings, resume the NHL schedule after the break against the Boston Bruins on Friday.
They currently sit sixth in the Atlantic Division, with a 15-17-7 record and 37 points. They trail the Toronto Maple Leafs, fifth in the same division, by four points.
Prior to their surprising 5-0 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday, the Senators had lost three straight and four of five games.
“It’s a tough a league. I don’t think we expected to be at the top but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think we’d be in a better position than we are right now,” Senators veteran defenseman Chris Phillips told the Ottawa Sun.
“Internally, we probably have the highest expectations of anybody. That’s the nature of who we are. We saw what we can accomplish last year and we thought this year would be better. It’s been a struggle.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)