Dec 27, 2013, 1:10 AM EDT
Coming off a second-round playoff exit in the spring, there were higher expectations of the Ottawa Senators in the fall.
But the results so far haven’t met the standard set prior to the start of the 2013-14 season. The Senators, with a new captain this season in Jason Spezza after Daniel Alfredsson signed with the Detroit Red Wings, resume the NHL schedule after the break against the Boston Bruins on Friday.
They currently sit sixth in the Atlantic Division, with a 15-17-7 record and 37 points. They trail the Toronto Maple Leafs, fifth in the same division, by four points.
Prior to their surprising 5-0 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday, the Senators had lost three straight and four of five games.
“It’s a tough a league. I don’t think we expected to be at the top but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think we’d be in a better position than we are right now,” Senators veteran defenseman Chris Phillips told the Ottawa Sun.
“Internally, we probably have the highest expectations of anybody. That’s the nature of who we are. We saw what we can accomplish last year and we thought this year would be better. It’s been a struggle.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)