Dec 27, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Sooner or later, the Washington Capitals are going to have to decide what they want to do with their goaltending situation. Given that Michal Neuvirth and Braden Holtby are both inked to one-way contracts that run through 2014-15, the simplest solution would be to return Philipp Grubauer to the minors.
That’s the simple answer, but Grubauer is doing everything in his power to make sure it isn’t the easy one.
He took advantage of another opportunity Friday night by saving 38 of 40 shots in Washington’s 3-2 win over the New York Rangers. The 22-year-old rookie now has a 5-1-1 record, 2.18 GAA and .937 save percentage in eight games.
The situation has already caused some tension among the Capitals goalies, with Neuvirth recently expressing his frustration over his lack of playing time.
For his part though, Capitals coach Adam Oates is still hedging his bets.
“Right now, it’s only been eight games and goalies, like everybody, have their waves,” Oates told the Monumental Network. He added that Grubauer has been giving his teammates some added confidence.
Washington will play against Buffalo on Sunday.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s assortment of links.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)