Dec 27, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Sooner or later, the Washington Capitals are going to have to decide what they want to do with their goaltending situation. Given that Michal Neuvirth and Braden Holtby are both inked to one-way contracts that run through 2014-15, the simplest solution would be to return Philipp Grubauer to the minors.
That’s the simple answer, but Grubauer is doing everything in his power to make sure it isn’t the easy one.
He took advantage of another opportunity Friday night by saving 38 of 40 shots in Washington’s 3-2 win over the New York Rangers. The 22-year-old rookie now has a 5-1-1 record, 2.18 GAA and .937 save percentage in eight games.
The situation has already caused some tension among the Capitals goalies, with Neuvirth recently expressing his frustration over his lack of playing time.
For his part though, Capitals coach Adam Oates is still hedging his bets.
“Right now, it’s only been eight games and goalies, like everybody, have their waves,” Oates told the Monumental Network. He added that Grubauer has been giving his teammates some added confidence.
Washington will play against Buffalo on Sunday.
Jun 2, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Pierre McGuire and Dan Patrick discuss.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Only one more day until Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
The Penguins hope to know more about Dupuis’ chances of returning soon.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT
Played in one game for Winnipeg last season.
Jun 2, 2015, 9:59 AM EDT
He needs time to think about his future.
Jun 2, 2015, 9:12 AM EDT
“I don’t win them and I don’t think I’m losing them.”
Jun 2, 2015, 8:09 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jun 2, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Andre Tourigny could be joining the club as an assistant coach.
Jun 2, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
The deal includes a $120,000 signing bonus.
Jun 1, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
They’re two way contracts worth $575,000.
Jun 1, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
If they advance to the Calder Cup final.
Jun 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Both defensemen are set to become unrestricted free agents next month.
Jun 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New Jersey has a press conference scheduled for noon on Tuesday.
Jun 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
He spent the 2014-15 season in the Swedish Hockey League.
Jun 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Tampa initially got the pick in the Martin St. Louis deal last year.
Jun 1, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
The power of perception.
Jun 1, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Two had fractured bones and the others were dealing with strains.
Jun 1, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
They’ll do so at their draft day viewing party.
Jun 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
They also inked 2014 third round pick Blake Siebenaler.
Jun 1, 2015, 2:32 PM EDT
The league has become more competitive and great teams are forced to make hard choices.
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 0
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 15
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 71
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 34
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (76)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)