Dec 27, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Sooner or later, the Washington Capitals are going to have to decide what they want to do with their goaltending situation. Given that Michal Neuvirth and Braden Holtby are both inked to one-way contracts that run through 2014-15, the simplest solution would be to return Philipp Grubauer to the minors.
That’s the simple answer, but Grubauer is doing everything in his power to make sure it isn’t the easy one.
He took advantage of another opportunity Friday night by saving 38 of 40 shots in Washington’s 3-2 win over the New York Rangers. The 22-year-old rookie now has a 5-1-1 record, 2.18 GAA and .937 save percentage in eight games.
The situation has already caused some tension among the Capitals goalies, with Neuvirth recently expressing his frustration over his lack of playing time.
For his part though, Capitals coach Adam Oates is still hedging his bets.
“Right now, it’s only been eight games and goalies, like everybody, have their waves,” Oates told the Monumental Network. He added that Grubauer has been giving his teammates some added confidence.
Washington will play against Buffalo on Sunday.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)