Dec 27, 2013, 7:49 PM EST
Anton Khudobin is finally healthy enough to return from an ankle injury, but he won’t play for the Carolina Hurricanes yet and there’s no guarantee that he will ever get another start with the club.
When the Hurricanes signed Khudobin, there was talk of him putting pressure on starting goaltender Cam Ward. However, since Khudobin went down on Oct. 13, Justin Peters has asserted himself as a serious contender to serve as the team’s number one netminder. Peters is currently making his third straight start in tonight’s game versus Pittsburgh.
There was speculation that either Khudobin or Peters would be traded last week and while that didn’t happen, the possibility still remains.
Carolina has three viable NHL netminders all inked to one-way deals. Although the conditioning stint will buy the Hurricanes more time, they can’t permanently send any of their goalies to the minors without first exposing them to waivers.
So barring an injury, the Hurricanes options will soon be down to having three goalies on their roster, risk losing one to waivers, or pulling the trigger on a trade.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 62
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (144)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)