Dec 27, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
He hasn’t exactly stunned the hockey world with his recent play, but Ilya Bryzgalov has managed to re-establish himself in Edmonton after two roller coaster years with Philadelphia. That’s been overshadowed by the Oilers’ overall struggles, but he’ll be the center of attention on Saturday as Edmonton has confirmed that he’ll start against the Flyers for the first time since he was bought out.
Bryzgalov has tried to put his chapter in Philadelphia behind him and when the subject came up today, he couldn’t have done much more to dodge questions about the match up:
At the same time, this can’t be just another game. There was no shortage of strife between him and the Flyers organization. Plus, even by the standards of a buyout, his ended up being particularly messy with his agent, Ritch Winter blasted the Flyers’ defensive system after his client was called a “costly mistake.”
“It’s terrible for goaltenders in Philadelphia,” Winter insisted.
Well, now Bryzgalov will try his luck at the other end of the ice in a Flyers’ game.
It’s going to be interesting at the very least.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)