Dec 27, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
He hasn’t exactly stunned the hockey world with his recent play, but Ilya Bryzgalov has managed to re-establish himself in Edmonton after two roller coaster years with Philadelphia. That’s been overshadowed by the Oilers’ overall struggles, but he’ll be the center of attention on Saturday as Edmonton has confirmed that he’ll start against the Flyers for the first time since he was bought out.
Bryzgalov has tried to put his chapter in Philadelphia behind him and when the subject came up today, he couldn’t have done much more to dodge questions about the match up:
At the same time, this can’t be just another game. There was no shortage of strife between him and the Flyers organization. Plus, even by the standards of a buyout, his ended up being particularly messy with his agent, Ritch Winter blasted the Flyers’ defensive system after his client was called a “costly mistake.”
“It’s terrible for goaltenders in Philadelphia,” Winter insisted.
Well, now Bryzgalov will try his luck at the other end of the ice in a Flyers’ game.
It’s going to be interesting at the very least.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 10
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 66
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (103)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)