Dec 27, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
The Boston Bruins have recalled goalie Niklas Svedberg from AHL Providence.
Svedberg, 24, is 11-5-3 this year with a 2.91 GAA and .907 save percentage with the baby Bruins. It’s unclear at the moment why he was recalled, as all three Boston goalies — Tuukka Rask, Chad Johnson and Svedberg — were on the ice this morning at practice.
Last season, Svedberg won the Baz Bastien Memorial Award as the American League’s top netminder, posting 37 wins, a 2.17 GAA and .925 save percentage along with four shutouts.
In doing so, Svedberg became the first rookie to be named top goalie since Jim Carey did it in 1994-95.
Update: Some more info on why Svedberg was recalled…
Claude: “We’re going to have a look at Svedberg. Not tonight, maybe tomorrow night? Earned his opportunity, we told him we’d give him that.”
— Jamie Erdahl (@JamieErdahl) December 27, 2013
Niklas Svedberg will be backing up Tuukka Rask tonight, per Claude Julien #BruinsTalk
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 27, 2013
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)