Dec 27, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have recalled goalie Niklas Svedberg from AHL Providence.
Svedberg, 24, is 11-5-3 this year with a 2.91 GAA and .907 save percentage with the baby Bruins. It’s unclear at the moment why he was recalled, as all three Boston goalies — Tuukka Rask, Chad Johnson and Svedberg — were on the ice this morning at practice.
Last season, Svedberg won the Baz Bastien Memorial Award as the American League’s top netminder, posting 37 wins, a 2.17 GAA and .925 save percentage along with four shutouts.
In doing so, Svedberg became the first rookie to be named top goalie since Jim Carey did it in 1994-95.
Update: Some more info on why Svedberg was recalled…
Claude: “We’re going to have a look at Svedberg. Not tonight, maybe tomorrow night? Earned his opportunity, we told him we’d give him that.”
— Jamie Erdahl (@JamieErdahl) December 27, 2013
Niklas Svedberg will be backing up Tuukka Rask tonight, per Claude Julien #BruinsTalk
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 27, 2013
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 34
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)