Dec 27, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have recalled goalie Niklas Svedberg from AHL Providence.
Svedberg, 24, is 11-5-3 this year with a 2.91 GAA and .907 save percentage with the baby Bruins. It’s unclear at the moment why he was recalled, as all three Boston goalies — Tuukka Rask, Chad Johnson and Svedberg — were on the ice this morning at practice.
Last season, Svedberg won the Baz Bastien Memorial Award as the American League’s top netminder, posting 37 wins, a 2.17 GAA and .925 save percentage along with four shutouts.
In doing so, Svedberg became the first rookie to be named top goalie since Jim Carey did it in 1994-95.
Update: Some more info on why Svedberg was recalled…
Claude: “We’re going to have a look at Svedberg. Not tonight, maybe tomorrow night? Earned his opportunity, we told him we’d give him that.”
— Jamie Erdahl (@JamieErdahl) December 27, 2013
Niklas Svedberg will be backing up Tuukka Rask tonight, per Claude Julien #BruinsTalk
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 27, 2013
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)