Dec 27, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have recalled goalie Niklas Svedberg from AHL Providence.
Svedberg, 24, is 11-5-3 this year with a 2.91 GAA and .907 save percentage with the baby Bruins. It’s unclear at the moment why he was recalled, as all three Boston goalies — Tuukka Rask, Chad Johnson and Svedberg — were on the ice this morning at practice.
Last season, Svedberg won the Baz Bastien Memorial Award as the American League’s top netminder, posting 37 wins, a 2.17 GAA and .925 save percentage along with four shutouts.
In doing so, Svedberg became the first rookie to be named top goalie since Jim Carey did it in 1994-95.
Update: Some more info on why Svedberg was recalled…
Claude: “We’re going to have a look at Svedberg. Not tonight, maybe tomorrow night? Earned his opportunity, we told him we’d give him that.”
— Jamie Erdahl (@JamieErdahl) December 27, 2013
Niklas Svedberg will be backing up Tuukka Rask tonight, per Claude Julien #BruinsTalk
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 27, 2013
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)