Dec 27, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have recalled goalie Niklas Svedberg from AHL Providence.
Svedberg, 24, is 11-5-3 this year with a 2.91 GAA and .907 save percentage with the baby Bruins. It’s unclear at the moment why he was recalled, as all three Boston goalies — Tuukka Rask, Chad Johnson and Svedberg — were on the ice this morning at practice.
Last season, Svedberg won the Baz Bastien Memorial Award as the American League’s top netminder, posting 37 wins, a 2.17 GAA and .925 save percentage along with four shutouts.
In doing so, Svedberg became the first rookie to be named top goalie since Jim Carey did it in 1994-95.
Update: Some more info on why Svedberg was recalled…
Claude: “We’re going to have a look at Svedberg. Not tonight, maybe tomorrow night? Earned his opportunity, we told him we’d give him that.”
— Jamie Erdahl (@JamieErdahl) December 27, 2013
Niklas Svedberg will be backing up Tuukka Rask tonight, per Claude Julien #BruinsTalk
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 27, 2013
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)