Dec 26, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings dropped two straight games to the Florida Panthers earlier this month, but the good news is that they’ll get some key players back in the lineup when they seek revenge on Saturday. The Detroit News reports that Henrik Zetterberg, Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader could all be back by then.
Zetterberg, 33, has been sidelined since Dec. 1 with a back injury.He has more than a point-per-game this season, with 30 in 28.
A shoulder issue appears to be the latest of a litany of issues for Helm, 26, while Abdelkader, 26, has missed time with what appears to be a concussion thanks to a hit by Deryk Engelland, who received a five-game suspension.
The Red Wings won’t be 100 percent even if those three forwards return, however, as they face issues both small and large to both of their top two goalies, Jonathan Ericsson, Stephen Weiss and Johan Franzen.
Even if some of those players also suit up – most likely Jonas Gustavsson (day-to-day, groin injury) – they’re still a hobbling bunch. They’d probably be close to the top of the list for NHL teams who needed this holiday break the most.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)