Dec 26, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings dropped two straight games to the Florida Panthers earlier this month, but the good news is that they’ll get some key players back in the lineup when they seek revenge on Saturday. The Detroit News reports that Henrik Zetterberg, Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader could all be back by then.
Zetterberg, 33, has been sidelined since Dec. 1 with a back injury.He has more than a point-per-game this season, with 30 in 28.
A shoulder issue appears to be the latest of a litany of issues for Helm, 26, while Abdelkader, 26, has missed time with what appears to be a concussion thanks to a hit by Deryk Engelland, who received a five-game suspension.
The Red Wings won’t be 100 percent even if those three forwards return, however, as they face issues both small and large to both of their top two goalies, Jonathan Ericsson, Stephen Weiss and Johan Franzen.
Even if some of those players also suit up – most likely Jonas Gustavsson (day-to-day, groin injury) – they’re still a hobbling bunch. They’d probably be close to the top of the list for NHL teams who needed this holiday break the most.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)