Dec 26, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings dropped two straight games to the Florida Panthers earlier this month, but the good news is that they’ll get some key players back in the lineup when they seek revenge on Saturday. The Detroit News reports that Henrik Zetterberg, Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader could all be back by then.
Zetterberg, 33, has been sidelined since Dec. 1 with a back injury.He has more than a point-per-game this season, with 30 in 28.
A shoulder issue appears to be the latest of a litany of issues for Helm, 26, while Abdelkader, 26, has missed time with what appears to be a concussion thanks to a hit by Deryk Engelland, who received a five-game suspension.
The Red Wings won’t be 100 percent even if those three forwards return, however, as they face issues both small and large to both of their top two goalies, Jonathan Ericsson, Stephen Weiss and Johan Franzen.
Even if some of those players also suit up – most likely Jonas Gustavsson (day-to-day, groin injury) – they’re still a hobbling bunch. They’d probably be close to the top of the list for NHL teams who needed this holiday break the most.
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 0
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 7
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 33
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)