Dec 26, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
There’s still no timeline for Tomas Hertl‘s return from a knee injury (and upcoming surgery), but the San Jose Sharks rookie is already being ruled out for the 2014 Winter Olympics. That’s the word from Czech national coach Alois Hadamczik by way of TV Nova Sports’ Roman Jedlicka.
This news isn’t that stunning considering the fact that there’s significant doubt he’ll play again in 2013-14, period. That being said, it underscores the concern surrounding the 20-year-old’s health.
No doubt about it, this is a shame for the Czech Olympic team, the Sharks and hockey fans in general. For many, his sensational/controversial between-the-legs move overshadows his other accomplishments, but the forward was a consistent producer overall. He didn’t fall off from a hot start riding shotgun with Joe Thornton this season, collecting 25 points in 35 games.
His Calder Trophy dreams have probably been dashed already, but the Sharks likely just hope that he can recover from this knee injury, even if it means sitting out the rest of this season. At minimum, he won’t be in Sochi, according to this report.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)