Dec 26, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal isn’t just skating again; it turns out that he will also join the team on a five-game road trip as he recovers from a concussion, New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay reports.
Naturally, this doesn’t mean that he’s certain for a swift return, yet it’s still a promising sign.
The 26-year-old has been sidelined since Dec. 7 with the injury. That issue happened thanks to a hit by Reid Boucher of the New Jersey Devils:
Staal resumed skating on Dec. 22. It’s been an injury-plagued couple seasons for Staal, as he seemingly just got over a frightening eye injury that evoked legitimate concerns about his career.
Staal has played in 30 games this season, collecting three points and a -7 rating.
The Rangers probably welcome any reason for optimism as they prepare for their five-game trip, which begins in Washington on Friday. They just completed a trying nine-game homestand, which ended on a nice note (two consecutive wins) but was largely a failure.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)