Dec 26, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal isn’t just skating again; it turns out that he will also join the team on a five-game road trip as he recovers from a concussion, New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay reports.
Naturally, this doesn’t mean that he’s certain for a swift return, yet it’s still a promising sign.
The 26-year-old has been sidelined since Dec. 7 with the injury. That issue happened thanks to a hit by Reid Boucher of the New Jersey Devils:
Staal resumed skating on Dec. 22. It’s been an injury-plagued couple seasons for Staal, as he seemingly just got over a frightening eye injury that evoked legitimate concerns about his career.
Staal has played in 30 games this season, collecting three points and a -7 rating.
The Rangers probably welcome any reason for optimism as they prepare for their five-game trip, which begins in Washington on Friday. They just completed a trying nine-game homestand, which ended on a nice note (two consecutive wins) but was largely a failure.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)