Dec 26, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal isn’t just skating again; it turns out that he will also join the team on a five-game road trip as he recovers from a concussion, New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay reports.
Naturally, this doesn’t mean that he’s certain for a swift return, yet it’s still a promising sign.
The 26-year-old has been sidelined since Dec. 7 with the injury. That issue happened thanks to a hit by Reid Boucher of the New Jersey Devils:
Staal resumed skating on Dec. 22. It’s been an injury-plagued couple seasons for Staal, as he seemingly just got over a frightening eye injury that evoked legitimate concerns about his career.
Staal has played in 30 games this season, collecting three points and a -7 rating.
The Rangers probably welcome any reason for optimism as they prepare for their five-game trip, which begins in Washington on Friday. They just completed a trying nine-game homestand, which ended on a nice note (two consecutive wins) but was largely a failure.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)