Dec 26, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle is excited about the possibility of Tyler Bozak returning from an oblique injury on Sunday, pointing to how the return of a player can allow other skaters to assume more appropriate roles.
“Bozak is our best faceoff guy,” Loiselle told the Toronto Sun on Wednesday. “And when you don’t win draws either on the power play or on the penalty kill, you end up spending a lot of time chasing the puck instead of controlling it.
“When he comes back, it simply allows other guys to drop down and play in positions they might be more comfortable with. He will be a welcome addition when he returns.”
Bozak, 27, has been sidelined since Dec. 3. The Maple Leafs center had played well in a stretch of five games returning from a separate injury, scoring one goal and four assists in five games from Nov. 25 – Dec. 3. It’s been that kind of season for the two-way center, yet the Leafs would be glad to have him back.
The Maple Leafs face the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday. That will be Toronto’s second game back in action, as they’re facing the Buffalo Sabres on Friday.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)