Dec 26, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle is excited about the possibility of Tyler Bozak returning from an oblique injury on Sunday, pointing to how the return of a player can allow other skaters to assume more appropriate roles.
“Bozak is our best faceoff guy,” Loiselle told the Toronto Sun on Wednesday. “And when you don’t win draws either on the power play or on the penalty kill, you end up spending a lot of time chasing the puck instead of controlling it.
“When he comes back, it simply allows other guys to drop down and play in positions they might be more comfortable with. He will be a welcome addition when he returns.”
Bozak, 27, has been sidelined since Dec. 3. The Maple Leafs center had played well in a stretch of five games returning from a separate injury, scoring one goal and four assists in five games from Nov. 25 – Dec. 3. It’s been that kind of season for the two-way center, yet the Leafs would be glad to have him back.
The Maple Leafs face the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday. That will be Toronto’s second game back in action, as they’re facing the Buffalo Sabres on Friday.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)