Dec 26, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle is excited about the possibility of Tyler Bozak returning from an oblique injury on Sunday, pointing to how the return of a player can allow other skaters to assume more appropriate roles.
“Bozak is our best faceoff guy,” Loiselle told the Toronto Sun on Wednesday. “And when you don’t win draws either on the power play or on the penalty kill, you end up spending a lot of time chasing the puck instead of controlling it.
“When he comes back, it simply allows other guys to drop down and play in positions they might be more comfortable with. He will be a welcome addition when he returns.”
Bozak, 27, has been sidelined since Dec. 3. The Maple Leafs center had played well in a stretch of five games returning from a separate injury, scoring one goal and four assists in five games from Nov. 25 – Dec. 3. It’s been that kind of season for the two-way center, yet the Leafs would be glad to have him back.
The Maple Leafs face the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday. That will be Toronto’s second game back in action, as they’re facing the Buffalo Sabres on Friday.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)