Caps’ Green: ‘I think I’m coming into my own again’

Dec 26, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT

Nicklas Backstrom, Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green is one of the NHL’s most prolific scorers from the blueline, so it’s no surprise that he was a little rattled by failing to score a goal for the first 24 games of the season. He told the Washington Post that he believes he’s put those struggles behind him, though.

“I was fighting it for a little while,” Green said. “But I think I’m coming into my own again. I think it’s just taken some time to get my feel in the game. Sometimes you go through those stretches. It’s definitely gone on a little longer than I’ve wanted, but I feel I’m improving.”

The 28-year-old has a pair of goals in 10 December games, and he’s been productive enough assists-wise overall, as helpers account for 16 of his 18 points in 34 contests.

One can credit Capitals head coach Adam Oates with helping Green not to panic when the goals weren’t coming.

“It’s like a quarterback who starts throwing some interceptions and starts second guessing his decisions and it affects his throws,” Oates said. “That’s a coach’s job is to help him through it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Predators, Taylor Beck agree to one-year contract

Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Taylor Beck Getty Images

He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.

2. Risk Factors: Buffalo Sabres edition

Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”

3. Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’

Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

Dallas Stars v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.

4. Video: Flames’ Gaudreau scored another nice one

Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.

5. Report: Marc Staal wants at least $6M per year from Rangers

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Four Getty Images

He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.

6. NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton

Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

tkachevvlad Getty Images

Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.

7. Sabres expect Kaleta to miss about one month

Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs V Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.

8. NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale

Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v New York Islanders Getty Images

It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.

9. Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’

Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets  v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Two Getty Images

What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …

10. Drouin’s goal is to return for Lightning opener

Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Lightning Camp Hockey AP

He says the “progress has been really good.”

11. Risk Factors: Toronto Maple Leafs edition

Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT

Randy Carlyle Getty Images

Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?

12. Babcock was raving about Smith’s performance versus Leafs

Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”

13. Caps still haven’t identified their 2C

Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Brooks Laich Getty Images

“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”

14. Spezza wants to ‘get comfortable’ before talking contract with Stars

Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT

Florida Panthers v Dallas Stars Getty Images

“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches