Dec 26, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green is one of the NHL’s most prolific scorers from the blueline, so it’s no surprise that he was a little rattled by failing to score a goal for the first 24 games of the season. He told the Washington Post that he believes he’s put those struggles behind him, though.
“I was fighting it for a little while,” Green said. “But I think I’m coming into my own again. I think it’s just taken some time to get my feel in the game. Sometimes you go through those stretches. It’s definitely gone on a little longer than I’ve wanted, but I feel I’m improving.”
The 28-year-old has a pair of goals in 10 December games, and he’s been productive enough assists-wise overall, as helpers account for 16 of his 18 points in 34 contests.
One can credit Capitals head coach Adam Oates with helping Green not to panic when the goals weren’t coming.
“It’s like a quarterback who starts throwing some interceptions and starts second guessing his decisions and it affects his throws,” Oates said. “That’s a coach’s job is to help him through it.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)