Dec 26, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
His team has the National Hockey League’s best record in the shootout. Yet, Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates doesn’t care for the deciding breakaway competitions.
“I don’t believe in them,” Oates said, as per theScore.
“I know the fans like it, but that’s because it has kind of a carnival effect. I mean, I get it. It’s in the rules, but maybe because I never played with it, I don’t really like it very much.”
The Capitals currently have an 8-3 record in the shootout this season. They’ve been particularly good in this element on home ice. Six of their wins in the skills competition have come at home; in fact they haven’t lost this way at Verizon Center this season and they’ve scored 14 goals on 20 attempts.
Oates isn’t the first person to voice their opinion against the shootout.
You might recall Boston Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask and his take on this in early November, when there were discussions out of the general managers meetings about possibly one day extending the overtime.
“I wouldn’t mind [getting rid of the shootout.] It doesn’t have anything to do with the game you just played. It’s just so dramatic when you lose,” Rask said last month.
“As a goalie it’s tough to accept that it’s not all your fault if you lose. I don’t know. As a viewer I’m a fan of the shootout, but when you’re in it, it’s not that cool, especially when you’re on the losing end.
“A five- or 10-minute overtime? I’d be OK with that. But going to 3-on-3 [in overtime]…that sounds a little crazy to me.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)