Dec 26, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
There was a time when Colorado Avalanche defenseman Jan Hejda contemplated quitting on the National Hockey League.
That’s according to a story in The Denver Post, which chronicled Hejda’s struggles in the Edmonton Oilers’ system during the 2006-07 season, when he first broke into the league. His time with the Oilers also included a stop in Hamilton in the American Hockey League.
Not the greatest situation for a then 27-year-old with a young family in a new country.
It was tough. I was a 27-year-old guy who’d already won a world championship with the Czech, but they were treating me like I was 19 and just a rookie,” Hejda told The Denver Post. “I’m doing bag skates in Hamilton, missing my family. I wanted to go home.”
After his troubles in the Oilers’ organization, Hejda has moved on to find success in the NHL, with the Columbus Blue Jackets and now with the Avalanche. He also played for the Czech Republic in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.
In his third full season with the Avalanche, and at the age of 35, he’s averaging just over 22 minutes of ice time a game, which is second on the team behind his partner on the blue line Erik Johnson.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)