Dec 25, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The whispers started a day before the draft. The Boston Bruins, fresh off a Stanley Cup Final loss, were apparently taking trade calls on Tyler Seguin.
At the time, the rumors were dismissed by many as an attempt by general manager Peter Chiarelli to give Seguin a wake-up call. And when Chiarelli came out and said the 21-year-old needed to “become more of a professional,” it sounded like the second overall pick in 2010 would be staying in black and gold. Otherwise, why say such a thing?
Not long after that, all the stories started to come out. The Bruins, according to one report, had to sit down with Seguin during the playoffs to address his partying. There was even talk security guards had to be hired to keep him in his hotel room. At which point Seguin’s mom became part of the story. Then, as if all that wasn’t enough, there was that “unfortunate” Twitter incident.
While the passage of time hasn’t completely stopped the Seguin stories from emerging. it all does seem like a blur now. Looking back, it remains unclear if the talented forward was traded mostly due to his off-ice activities, or if it was more about a speed-and-skill style that didn’t mesh with the Bruins’ hard-nosed, powerful approach. Perhaps the former helped convince the Bruins’ brass of the latter, or vice-versa.
Whatever the main reason he’s in Dallas today, Seguin is thriving. Playing alongside 24-year-old Jamie Benn and 18-year-old Valeri Nichushkin, his 37 points lead the club and rank 12th in the NHL, tying him with the likes of Martin St. Louis and Erik Karlsson.
“We’ve got a core group of players that are all under the age of 25 and 26 and under,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill after landing Seguin, “and I think that’s going to be great for him to grow in with the rest of these players and help create a great environment down here for us.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)