Dec 25, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
The whispers started a day before the draft. The Boston Bruins, fresh off a Stanley Cup Final loss, were apparently taking trade calls on Tyler Seguin.
At the time, the rumors were dismissed by many as an attempt by general manager Peter Chiarelli to give Seguin a wake-up call. And when Chiarelli came out and said the 21-year-old needed to “become more of a professional,” it sounded like the second overall pick in 2010 would be staying in black and gold. Otherwise, why say such a thing?
Not long after that, all the stories started to come out. The Bruins, according to one report, had to sit down with Seguin during the playoffs to address his partying. There was even talk security guards had to be hired to keep him in his hotel room. At which point Seguin’s mom became part of the story. Then, as if all that wasn’t enough, there was that “unfortunate” Twitter incident.
While the passage of time hasn’t completely stopped the Seguin stories from emerging. it all does seem like a blur now. Looking back, it remains unclear if the talented forward was traded mostly due to his off-ice activities, or if it was more about a speed-and-skill style that didn’t mesh with the Bruins’ hard-nosed, powerful approach. Perhaps the former helped convince the Bruins’ brass of the latter, or vice-versa.
Whatever the main reason he’s in Dallas today, Seguin is thriving. Playing alongside 24-year-old Jamie Benn and 18-year-old Valeri Nichushkin, his 37 points lead the club and rank 12th in the NHL, tying him with the likes of Martin St. Louis and Erik Karlsson.
“We’ve got a core group of players that are all under the age of 25 and 26 and under,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill after landing Seguin, “and I think that’s going to be great for him to grow in with the rest of these players and help create a great environment down here for us.”
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 49
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)