Dec 25, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The whispers started a day before the draft. The Boston Bruins, fresh off a Stanley Cup Final loss, were apparently taking trade calls on Tyler Seguin.
At the time, the rumors were dismissed by many as an attempt by general manager Peter Chiarelli to give Seguin a wake-up call. And when Chiarelli came out and said the 21-year-old needed to “become more of a professional,” it sounded like the second overall pick in 2010 would be staying in black and gold. Otherwise, why say such a thing?
Not long after that, all the stories started to come out. The Bruins, according to one report, had to sit down with Seguin during the playoffs to address his partying. There was even talk security guards had to be hired to keep him in his hotel room. At which point Seguin’s mom became part of the story. Then, as if all that wasn’t enough, there was that “unfortunate” Twitter incident.
While the passage of time hasn’t completely stopped the Seguin stories from emerging. it all does seem like a blur now. Looking back, it remains unclear if the talented forward was traded mostly due to his off-ice activities, or if it was more about a speed-and-skill style that didn’t mesh with the Bruins’ hard-nosed, powerful approach. Perhaps the former helped convince the Bruins’ brass of the latter, or vice-versa.
Whatever the main reason he’s in Dallas today, Seguin is thriving. Playing alongside 24-year-old Jamie Benn and 18-year-old Valeri Nichushkin, his 37 points lead the club and rank 12th in the NHL, tying him with the likes of Martin St. Louis and Erik Karlsson.
“We’ve got a core group of players that are all under the age of 25 and 26 and under,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill after landing Seguin, “and I think that’s going to be great for him to grow in with the rest of these players and help create a great environment down here for us.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)