Dec 25, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The whispers started a day before the draft. The Boston Bruins, fresh off a Stanley Cup Final loss, were apparently taking trade calls on Tyler Seguin.
At the time, the rumors were dismissed by many as an attempt by general manager Peter Chiarelli to give Seguin a wake-up call. And when Chiarelli came out and said the 21-year-old needed to “become more of a professional,” it sounded like the second overall pick in 2010 would be staying in black and gold. Otherwise, why say such a thing?
Not long after that, all the stories started to come out. The Bruins, according to one report, had to sit down with Seguin during the playoffs to address his partying. There was even talk security guards had to be hired to keep him in his hotel room. At which point Seguin’s mom became part of the story. Then, as if all that wasn’t enough, there was that “unfortunate” Twitter incident.
While the passage of time hasn’t completely stopped the Seguin stories from emerging. it all does seem like a blur now. Looking back, it remains unclear if the talented forward was traded mostly due to his off-ice activities, or if it was more about a speed-and-skill style that didn’t mesh with the Bruins’ hard-nosed, powerful approach. Perhaps the former helped convince the Bruins’ brass of the latter, or vice-versa.
Whatever the main reason he’s in Dallas today, Seguin is thriving. Playing alongside 24-year-old Jamie Benn and 18-year-old Valeri Nichushkin, his 37 points lead the club and rank 12th in the NHL, tying him with the likes of Martin St. Louis and Erik Karlsson.
“We’ve got a core group of players that are all under the age of 25 and 26 and under,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill after landing Seguin, “and I think that’s going to be great for him to grow in with the rest of these players and help create a great environment down here for us.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)