PHT’s top 13 of ’13: ‘Hawks win Cup in dramatic fashion

Dec 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Seventeen seconds. That’s all it took.

Those few, precious ticks of the clock were enough for the Chicago Blackhawks to orchestrate the most stunning comeback in Stanley Cup Final history, erasing Boston’s 2-1 lead in Game 6 to hoist Lord Stanley’s mug for the second time in four seasons.

“This goal, this ending,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville said following the game. “Nobody saw it coming.”

No, they didn’t. A quick refresher of how it all went down:

From a historical standpoint, the goals from Bryan Bickell and Dave Bolland will stand for a long time. Bolland etched his name in the record books by scoring the latest Cup-winning goal in regulation time — Boston’s Bill Carson held the previous mark, tallying with 1:58 left in the deciding game of the 1929 Final — and with that, the ‘Hawks became the first team in NHL history to win a Cup-clinching game by overcoming a deficit in the final two minutes.

From a personal standpoint, the game was significant as well. Brough and I were supposed to go to Chicago in the event of a Game 7. When Boston’s Milan Lucic scored to give his team a 2-1 lead with under eight minutes left, I went ahead and booked flights to the Windy City and started looking at hotels on Mag Mile — because hey, no way the Bruins were going to blow this in Boston.

Right?

Wrong.

Just a short while after patting myself on the back for making travel arrangements so quickly (and efficiently!) I watched in stunned silence as the ‘Hawks put together one of the greatest, wildest and most improbable comebacks in the history of sports. I was left to contemplate exactly what I just saw.

I was also left with an airline voucher and one free continental breakfast.

That anecdote sums up the ’13 Stanley Cup playoffs pretty well, in that it was dumb to expect the expected. This was the same postseason, after all, in which Boston rallied from a 4-1 deficit in Game 7 of the first round to beat Toronto; Chicago thought they had the go-ahead goal late in Game 7 of the Detroit series, only to have it controversially waved off; the high-octane Penguins scored two measly goals and got swept in the Eastern Conference finals.

Chicago winning the way it did just fit, for lack of a better term. It was wild, it was unpredictable and it was unforgettable. The perfect end to a crazy postseason.

Well, unless you’re a Bruins fan.

1. pitpenguinsrulez - Dec 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Seeing Boston blow a 2-1 lead with under 2 minutes left made my day. Merry Christmas my fellow PHT community

• thesportsjudge - Dec 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Oh right, AFTER Pitt scored 2 total goals in 4 games vs Boston?

• drewzducks - Dec 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Weak response from a fan of a weak, overrated team that hasn’t even sniffed the Finals the past four seasons.

2. shaundre93 - Dec 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Well I’d take that over being dominated and swept by an “inferior” team.

That said, words can’t describe how I felt. From elation to depression in a matter of moments. It was a great run by my black and gold though, can’t win every year. Couldn’t have picked a better team to lose to, hawks are one hell of an organization right now. I honestly thought Boston played well enough to win the series, just couldn’t get a good bounce (oduya’s gm 1 goal… sigh…). That whole post season was a great representation of why hockey is the best though

• sprtsfan1 - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I think I can honestly say that I appreciated every bit of trash talk I had with Boston fans. They are of the elite in classiness. It was a great series and Chicago was fortunate that it ended the way it did. Could have gone either way the entire series. Unlike the classlessness of Philadelphia, Boston actually cheered when the Stanley Cup was presented. City of Class and True Hockey fans (Boston), Chicago salutes you!

3. drewsylvania - Dec 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The silver lining for me was that the Blackhawks as a whole, played strong, clean hockey. Beat the B’s fair and square.

4. ironyisadeadscene - Dec 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Ugh, fun series to watch tho

5. greenmtnboy31 - Dec 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

This was an incredible moment for a lot of reasons. The complete and total collapse couldn’t have happened to a better bunch of chumps than Boston and their obnoxious fans! The icing on this cake had to be the fact that Chicago targeted Chief Chump Chara and they made it known that’s what they were going to do. Boston couldn’t do a thing about it as evidenced by Chara being on the ice for their last 12 goals.

In a word, it was righteous!

• shaundre93 - Dec 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Almost as righteous as the Sens dismantling les habnots in the 1st rd. Take your trolling elsewhere, tis a time for joy

• greenmtnboy31 - Dec 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Dismantling? You’re confused.

Sens had a hot goalie, end of story.

That doesn’t change the fact of what Chicago did and what Boston was helpless to stop, chump.

It was joyous to be in that building when they did It.

• drewzducks - Dec 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM

And, yet, once again the only satisfaction for fans of the Habnots these days is when the team that is and has been clearly superior to them the past 5+ seasons goes down to defeat, in a hard fought series! to the class of the NHL, the Blackhawks.

• greenmtnboy31 - Dec 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Check the record drewsucks; head to head, Montreal dominates Boston. Whether you want to limit it to just the “past 5+ seasons” or not, regular season or playoffs, Montreal dominates Boston head to head. Even a dunce like you definitely won’t want to talk about head to head playoff records between these two teams. I’m sure your remember Montreal hammered and eliminated Beantown 19 straight times!

Boston can’t keep up with Montreal’s speed & skill and the best evidence of that was Chara mugging Paciorety when he couldn’t keep up with him. Maybe that isn’t the best evidence considering it’s become increasingly obvious how slow Chara is.

In 1988, the Bruins won their first playoff series against the Canadiens in 45 years…
        The 1992 series was the first time since 1929 that the Bruins swept the Canadiens in the playoffs.

Montreal DOMINATES Beantown.

• drewzducks - Dec 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Ancient history, especially considering you weren’t even a stain on your Dad’s sheets back when the Habs were dominant. Speed and skill got you really far last year vs. the Sens. Out scored 20-9 in another embarrassing performance, this time at the hands of your superiors in Ontario.

• montrealbbr - Dec 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

The Habs lost because Ottawa decided to goon it up and the refs let them. I also think Price was hurt because he was not the same goalie he was at the start of the year.

And you can point to Chara as a big reason why the Bruins choked. He looked so slow and tired it was great! Whenever I hear about how great Chara and Rask are I am going to link this video! I could watch this all day long!

I also remember how classless the boston fans were when the Hawks won. Booing them and throwing things on the ice. Those fans got what they deserved if you ask me!

• titansrbeast - Dec 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I’m sure you could watch it all day, it’s probably amazing to see what deep playoff runs look like. You know, seeing as the Habs failed to do anything the last 5 seasons?

• sprtsfan1 - Dec 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM

You’re wrong sir, Bruins fans were booing Bettman, not the Blackhawks. I’m a Hawks fan and could clearly tell a difference. When the Hawks won it in Philly, that was a different story.

• greenmtnboy31 - Dec 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Bruins fans are funny and make me laught lots. They finally get lucky behind a hot goalie and win a Cup after 40 years of NOTHING and they think they are relevant, but they are the same doormat they’ve always been.

6. ilikejay - Dec 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

It is kinda interesting to hear the Hawks referred to as a “class” organization, after enduring so many haters denigrating their fans and more. Calling Hawks fans ignorant band-wagon wanna-be fans . Especially from Detroit, St. Louis, Vancouver, Phoenix and LA.
    It is very refreshing, and nice to see. Thank you. I have suffered through more than four decades of “almost”, and pretty sucky. So to see my team get their act together and be a real force for a while is just so exciting and joyous. Especially in the midst of such parity, so many great teams in the hunt, and any team can beat any team on any given night.

• comeonnowguys - Dec 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I may be wrong, but I think the fans of those other teams–at least here–compartmentalized the two. They tipped the cap to the Blackhawks themselves, when appropriate, and still managed to rip Blackhawk fans for being bandwagony.

Of course people are always going to turn out for winners. But call me naive, I think things are changing. With the Bulls optimism falling apart faster than Derrick Rose’s knees and reputation, the fruits of Cubs’ total organizational razing and rebuilding still years away, and whatever the hell is happening on the South Side (Chicago’s last, non-hockey-playing champion) from year to year, the Blackhawks’ front office and players are doing most everything right to really cement themselves.

Who knows, though. Things were looking good in the early 90s. And then they traded and chased away all my favorite players and wouldn’t let me watch games on TV.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D