Dec 24, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
If Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne has a regret with nearly half the 2013-14 campaign in the books, it’s that he only has four goals and 11 points in 30 games. Just because he’s 43 years old doesn’t mean he has thrown away his standards.
Of course, his team is winning and that’s kept his spirits up. He made it clear that this will be his final campaign and so far he’s enjoyed himself.
“Obviously when you know it’s going to be the last you enjoy every day and you see things differently, and you appreciate everything more and more,” Selanne told the Ducks’ website.
He’s averaging just 14:16 minutes per game at this point and gets the odd contest off. That’s in stark contrast to the leadership role he’s used to and that’s been an adjustment for him, but he’s determined to help the squad as much as he can in the hopes that the last thing he does as a player will be raising the Stanley Cup.
“We’re all excited,” Selanne said. “With how last year ended we knew there was unfinished business and this is the time to fix that.”
He’ll also have a chance at an Olympic medal with Finland. They don’t have the star power of some of the other teams, but Selanne sees that as an advantage because they won’t end up with players used to logging 20 minutes a game serving on the third or fourth line. Plus he has an outdoor game against the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium to look forward to.
When it’s all over, Selanne will be remembered as one of the NHL’s greats. Until then, he will keep focusing on improving his production and winning hockey games.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 31
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)