Dec 24, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
If Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne has a regret with nearly half the 2013-14 campaign in the books, it’s that he only has four goals and 11 points in 30 games. Just because he’s 43 years old doesn’t mean he has thrown away his standards.
Of course, his team is winning and that’s kept his spirits up. He made it clear that this will be his final campaign and so far he’s enjoyed himself.
“Obviously when you know it’s going to be the last you enjoy every day and you see things differently, and you appreciate everything more and more,” Selanne told the Ducks’ website.
He’s averaging just 14:16 minutes per game at this point and gets the odd contest off. That’s in stark contrast to the leadership role he’s used to and that’s been an adjustment for him, but he’s determined to help the squad as much as he can in the hopes that the last thing he does as a player will be raising the Stanley Cup.
“We’re all excited,” Selanne said. “With how last year ended we knew there was unfinished business and this is the time to fix that.”
He’ll also have a chance at an Olympic medal with Finland. They don’t have the star power of some of the other teams, but Selanne sees that as an advantage because they won’t end up with players used to logging 20 minutes a game serving on the third or fourth line. Plus he has an outdoor game against the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium to look forward to.
When it’s all over, Selanne will be remembered as one of the NHL’s greats. Until then, he will keep focusing on improving his production and winning hockey games.
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 2
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 59
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)