Dec 24, 2013, 6:03 PM EST
Thomas hasn’t played since Dec. 10 due to a groin injury. He came back to the NHL after taking a season off and the results have been mixed. In addition to his injury troubles, he certainly isn’t challenging for another Vezina Trophy with his 2.75 GAA and .909 save percentage in 21 starts.
To make room, the Panthers decided to return 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom to the minors. When the summer started, it looked like Markstrom might serve as the Panthers’ starting goaltender in 2013-14, but the signing of Thomas threw a wrench in that and Markstrom’s subsequent struggles has cost him his roster spot entirely.
Instead Scott Clemmensen will split the goaltending duties with Thomas for now. Clemmensen allowed six goals against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday, but before that he had won four straight starts by holding his opponents to just six goals over that span.
Florida also sent 21-year-old defenseman Alex Petrovic to the AHL San Antonio Rampage.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)