Dec 24, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
Thomas hasn’t played since Dec. 10 due to a groin injury. He came back to the NHL after taking a season off and the results have been mixed. In addition to his injury troubles, he certainly isn’t challenging for another Vezina Trophy with his 2.75 GAA and .909 save percentage in 21 starts.
To make room, the Panthers decided to return 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom to the minors. When the summer started, it looked like Markstrom might serve as the Panthers’ starting goaltender in 2013-14, but the signing of Thomas threw a wrench in that and Markstrom’s subsequent struggles has cost him his roster spot entirely.
Instead Scott Clemmensen will split the goaltending duties with Thomas for now. Clemmensen allowed six goals against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday, but before that he had won four straight starts by holding his opponents to just six goals over that span.
Florida also sent 21-year-old defenseman Alex Petrovic to the AHL San Antonio Rampage.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)