Dec 24, 2013, 6:03 PM EST
Thomas hasn’t played since Dec. 10 due to a groin injury. He came back to the NHL after taking a season off and the results have been mixed. In addition to his injury troubles, he certainly isn’t challenging for another Vezina Trophy with his 2.75 GAA and .909 save percentage in 21 starts.
To make room, the Panthers decided to return 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom to the minors. When the summer started, it looked like Markstrom might serve as the Panthers’ starting goaltender in 2013-14, but the signing of Thomas threw a wrench in that and Markstrom’s subsequent struggles has cost him his roster spot entirely.
Instead Scott Clemmensen will split the goaltending duties with Thomas for now. Clemmensen allowed six goals against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday, but before that he had won four straight starts by holding his opponents to just six goals over that span.
Florida also sent 21-year-old defenseman Alex Petrovic to the AHL San Antonio Rampage.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)