Dec 24, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
Thomas hasn’t played since Dec. 10 due to a groin injury. He came back to the NHL after taking a season off and the results have been mixed. In addition to his injury troubles, he certainly isn’t challenging for another Vezina Trophy with his 2.75 GAA and .909 save percentage in 21 starts.
To make room, the Panthers decided to return 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom to the minors. When the summer started, it looked like Markstrom might serve as the Panthers’ starting goaltender in 2013-14, but the signing of Thomas threw a wrench in that and Markstrom’s subsequent struggles has cost him his roster spot entirely.
Instead Scott Clemmensen will split the goaltending duties with Thomas for now. Clemmensen allowed six goals against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday, but before that he had won four straight starts by holding his opponents to just six goals over that span.
Florida also sent 21-year-old defenseman Alex Petrovic to the AHL San Antonio Rampage.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)