Dec 24, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
It might just be a happy hockey fan base in Edmonton again. Well, maybe. And if so, it’s only been one game.
The Oilers snapped a six-game losing streak with a 6-2 win over the visiting Winnipeg Jets on Monday, heading into the holiday break in the schedule on something of a positive note.
The good times in Edmonton have been very few and very far between for hockey fans this season. The Oilers still sit dead last in the Western Conference. Yes, even after their triumph Monday.
The recently snapped skid provided even more fuel for already impatient fans fed up with seeing a team that supposedly had so much promise and playoff potential play so poorly through the first three months of the regular season.
Emotions seemed to hit the boiling point when a fan threw his Oilers jersey onto the ice following a loss Saturday. That prompted a lengthy response from head coach Dallas Eakins.
“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins. “We don’t want that here.”
“For some fan to show us all that he quit, he’s done, he threw in the towel, I think that says volumes about the individual. I don’t believe this city was built on people like that.”
Just a few hours prior to puck drop on Monday, Eakins took to Twitter to clarify his earlier remarks.
The game turned ugly late in the third period. Jets’ defenseman Zach Bogosian was given a major penalty for spearing during a scrum that had ensued with less than four minutes remaining.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 1
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 2
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)