Dec 24, 2013, 12:50 AM EST
It might just be a happy hockey fan base in Edmonton again. Well, maybe. And if so, it’s only been one game.
The Oilers snapped a six-game losing streak with a 6-2 win over the visiting Winnipeg Jets on Monday, heading into the holiday break in the schedule on something of a positive note.
The good times in Edmonton have been very few and very far between for hockey fans this season. The Oilers still sit dead last in the Western Conference. Yes, even after their triumph Monday.
The recently snapped skid provided even more fuel for already impatient fans fed up with seeing a team that supposedly had so much promise and playoff potential play so poorly through the first three months of the regular season.
Emotions seemed to hit the boiling point when a fan threw his Oilers jersey onto the ice following a loss Saturday. That prompted a lengthy response from head coach Dallas Eakins.
“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins. “We don’t want that here.”
“For some fan to show us all that he quit, he’s done, he threw in the towel, I think that says volumes about the individual. I don’t believe this city was built on people like that.”
Just a few hours prior to puck drop on Monday, Eakins took to Twitter to clarify his earlier remarks.
The game turned ugly late in the third period. Jets’ defenseman Zach Bogosian was given a major penalty for spearing during a scrum that had ensued with less than four minutes remaining.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 69
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 54
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (70)