Dec 24, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
It might just be a happy hockey fan base in Edmonton again. Well, maybe. And if so, it’s only been one game.
The Oilers snapped a six-game losing streak with a 6-2 win over the visiting Winnipeg Jets on Monday, heading into the holiday break in the schedule on something of a positive note.
The good times in Edmonton have been very few and very far between for hockey fans this season. The Oilers still sit dead last in the Western Conference. Yes, even after their triumph Monday.
The recently snapped skid provided even more fuel for already impatient fans fed up with seeing a team that supposedly had so much promise and playoff potential play so poorly through the first three months of the regular season.
Emotions seemed to hit the boiling point when a fan threw his Oilers jersey onto the ice following a loss Saturday. That prompted a lengthy response from head coach Dallas Eakins.
“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins. “We don’t want that here.”
“For some fan to show us all that he quit, he’s done, he threw in the towel, I think that says volumes about the individual. I don’t believe this city was built on people like that.”
Just a few hours prior to puck drop on Monday, Eakins took to Twitter to clarify his earlier remarks.
The game turned ugly late in the third period. Jets’ defenseman Zach Bogosian was given a major penalty for spearing during a scrum that had ensued with less than four minutes remaining.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)