Dec 24, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be getting their much-anticipated outdoor game — the only question is when.
“Ottawa is going to get one,” NHL COO John Collins told the Ottawa Sun. “It’s a great market. We had a great all-star experience (in 2012).
“It’s just a matter of picking a date to commit to it.”
As for when the NHL might commit, here’s the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch:
The Heritage Classic is coming to the national capital, likely in 2017 at the newly-built Lansdowne Live against the Montreal Canadiens.
That year is Canada’s 150th birthday, the 125th anniversary of the Stanley Cup, the 100th anniversary of the NHL and the Senators 25th year in the league.
Ottawa will participate in and outdoor game this year at the 2014 Heritage Classic, to take place at B.C. Place on Mar. 2 against the Vancouver Canucks. Collins noted that several other Canadian teams have put forth requests for a future outdoor game — Toronto and Montreal most notably — so it’s possible the Sens could take on either the Leafs or Habs when it’s their turn to play outside.
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 11
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 3
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 49
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 26
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 33
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 9
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)