Dec 24, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be getting their much-anticipated outdoor game — the only question is when.
“Ottawa is going to get one,” NHL COO John Collins told the Ottawa Sun. “It’s a great market. We had a great all-star experience (in 2012).
“It’s just a matter of picking a date to commit to it.”
As for when the NHL might commit, here’s the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch:
The Heritage Classic is coming to the national capital, likely in 2017 at the newly-built Lansdowne Live against the Montreal Canadiens.
That year is Canada’s 150th birthday, the 125th anniversary of the Stanley Cup, the 100th anniversary of the NHL and the Senators 25th year in the league.
Ottawa will participate in and outdoor game this year at the 2014 Heritage Classic, to take place at B.C. Place on Mar. 2 against the Vancouver Canucks. Collins noted that several other Canadian teams have put forth requests for a future outdoor game — Toronto and Montreal most notably — so it’s possible the Sens could take on either the Leafs or Habs when it’s their turn to play outside.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)