Dec 24, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Detroit’s nightmarish injury situation has hit Elm Street territory.
On Tuesday, Wings GM Ken Holland announced defenseman Jonathan Ericsson would miss the next 3-5 weeks with fractured ribs, putting him on the shelf alongside Johan Franzen, Darren Helm, Jimmy Howard, Stephen Weiss and Henrik Zetterberg.
Ericsson, 29, was hurt during Detroit’s 3-0 loss to the Islanders on Monday, finishing with just 9:24 TOI.
The Swedish rearguard has been a steadying presence for the Wings this year, scoring eight points in 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes a night. Despite missing 10 games already with an upper-body injury, Ericsson inked a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
This latest ailment will sideline Ericsson for the 2014 Winter Classic — to be played against Toronto on Jan. 1 at the University of Michigan’s Big House — and puts his participation for the Winter Olympics in doubt as well.
Ericsson was one of 13 defensemen named to Team Sweden’s summer Olympic orientation camp, and had previously represented Sweden at the 2010 World Hockey Championships.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)