Dec 24, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Detroit’s nightmarish injury situation has hit Elm Street territory.
On Tuesday, Wings GM Ken Holland announced defenseman Jonathan Ericsson would miss the next 3-5 weeks with fractured ribs, putting him on the shelf alongside Johan Franzen, Darren Helm, Jimmy Howard, Stephen Weiss and Henrik Zetterberg.
Ericsson, 29, was hurt during Detroit’s 3-0 loss to the Islanders on Monday, finishing with just 9:24 TOI.
The Swedish rearguard has been a steadying presence for the Wings this year, scoring eight points in 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes a night. Despite missing 10 games already with an upper-body injury, Ericsson inked a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
This latest ailment will sideline Ericsson for the 2014 Winter Classic — to be played against Toronto on Jan. 1 at the University of Michigan’s Big House — and puts his participation for the Winter Olympics in doubt as well.
Ericsson was one of 13 defensemen named to Team Sweden’s summer Olympic orientation camp, and had previously represented Sweden at the 2010 World Hockey Championships.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)