Dec 24, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Detroit’s nightmarish injury situation has hit Elm Street territory.
On Tuesday, Wings GM Ken Holland announced defenseman Jonathan Ericsson would miss the next 3-5 weeks with fractured ribs, putting him on the shelf alongside Johan Franzen, Darren Helm, Jimmy Howard, Stephen Weiss and Henrik Zetterberg.
Ericsson, 29, was hurt during Detroit’s 3-0 loss to the Islanders on Monday, finishing with just 9:24 TOI.
The Swedish rearguard has been a steadying presence for the Wings this year, scoring eight points in 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes a night. Despite missing 10 games already with an upper-body injury, Ericsson inked a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
This latest ailment will sideline Ericsson for the 2014 Winter Classic — to be played against Toronto on Jan. 1 at the University of Michigan’s Big House — and puts his participation for the Winter Olympics in doubt as well.
Ericsson was one of 13 defensemen named to Team Sweden’s summer Olympic orientation camp, and had previously represented Sweden at the 2010 World Hockey Championships.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 33
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)