Dec 24, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
Detroit’s nightmarish injury situation has hit Elm Street territory.
On Tuesday, Wings GM Ken Holland announced defenseman Jonathan Ericsson would miss the next 3-5 weeks with fractured ribs, putting him on the shelf alongside Johan Franzen, Darren Helm, Jimmy Howard, Stephen Weiss and Henrik Zetterberg.
Ericsson, 29, was hurt during Detroit’s 3-0 loss to the Islanders on Monday, finishing with just 9:24 TOI.
The Swedish rearguard has been a steadying presence for the Wings this year, scoring eight points in 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes a night. Despite missing 10 games already with an upper-body injury, Ericsson inked a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
This latest ailment will sideline Ericsson for the 2014 Winter Classic — to be played against Toronto on Jan. 1 at the University of Michigan’s Big House — and puts his participation for the Winter Olympics in doubt as well.
Ericsson was one of 13 defensemen named to Team Sweden’s summer Olympic orientation camp, and had previously represented Sweden at the 2010 World Hockey Championships.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 0
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)