Dec 24, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Detroit’s nightmarish injury situation has hit Elm Street territory.
On Tuesday, Wings GM Ken Holland announced defenseman Jonathan Ericsson would miss the next 3-5 weeks with fractured ribs, putting him on the shelf alongside Johan Franzen, Darren Helm, Jimmy Howard, Stephen Weiss and Henrik Zetterberg.
Ericsson, 29, was hurt during Detroit’s 3-0 loss to the Islanders on Monday, finishing with just 9:24 TOI.
The Swedish rearguard has been a steadying presence for the Wings this year, scoring eight points in 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes a night. Despite missing 10 games already with an upper-body injury, Ericsson inked a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
This latest ailment will sideline Ericsson for the 2014 Winter Classic — to be played against Toronto on Jan. 1 at the University of Michigan’s Big House — and puts his participation for the Winter Olympics in doubt as well.
Ericsson was one of 13 defensemen named to Team Sweden’s summer Olympic orientation camp, and had previously represented Sweden at the 2010 World Hockey Championships.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 24
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)