Dec 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
The 82-game NHL campaign is always a grind, but it’s particularly challenging this season because the NHL has condensed the schedule to accommodate for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics.
Fortunately, the new CBA has given the players a bit longer of a mandatory breather. This year they’re taking three straight days off rather than the old policy that afforded them two days of rest. That might not sound like a big change, but it makes a difference.
“When you talk about guys going home or [wherever], that’s one whole day where you don’t have to travel and you get to rest,” Penguins star Sidney Crosby explained to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Before, you had two days, but you were traveling for one, pretty much. It’s nice to get that extra day, especially this time of year. I think we can all appreciate that and be with our families.”
The change has to be particularly welcome for teams dealing with a full sickbay, like the Penguins. Pascal Dupuis joined the long list of hurt Penguins last night when he collided into Crosby during their 5-0 loss to Ottawa.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)