Dec 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
The 82-game NHL campaign is always a grind, but it’s particularly challenging this season because the NHL has condensed the schedule to accommodate for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics.
Fortunately, the new CBA has given the players a bit longer of a mandatory breather. This year they’re taking three straight days off rather than the old policy that afforded them two days of rest. That might not sound like a big change, but it makes a difference.
“When you talk about guys going home or [wherever], that’s one whole day where you don’t have to travel and you get to rest,” Penguins star Sidney Crosby explained to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Before, you had two days, but you were traveling for one, pretty much. It’s nice to get that extra day, especially this time of year. I think we can all appreciate that and be with our families.”
The change has to be particularly welcome for teams dealing with a full sickbay, like the Penguins. Pascal Dupuis joined the long list of hurt Penguins last night when he collided into Crosby during their 5-0 loss to Ottawa.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)