Dec 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
The 82-game NHL campaign is always a grind, but it’s particularly challenging this season because the NHL has condensed the schedule to accommodate for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics.
Fortunately, the new CBA has given the players a bit longer of a mandatory breather. This year they’re taking three straight days off rather than the old policy that afforded them two days of rest. That might not sound like a big change, but it makes a difference.
“When you talk about guys going home or [wherever], that’s one whole day where you don’t have to travel and you get to rest,” Penguins star Sidney Crosby explained to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Before, you had two days, but you were traveling for one, pretty much. It’s nice to get that extra day, especially this time of year. I think we can all appreciate that and be with our families.”
The change has to be particularly welcome for teams dealing with a full sickbay, like the Penguins. Pascal Dupuis joined the long list of hurt Penguins last night when he collided into Crosby during their 5-0 loss to Ottawa.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)