Dec 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
The 82-game NHL campaign is always a grind, but it’s particularly challenging this season because the NHL has condensed the schedule to accommodate for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics.
Fortunately, the new CBA has given the players a bit longer of a mandatory breather. This year they’re taking three straight days off rather than the old policy that afforded them two days of rest. That might not sound like a big change, but it makes a difference.
“When you talk about guys going home or [wherever], that’s one whole day where you don’t have to travel and you get to rest,” Penguins star Sidney Crosby explained to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Before, you had two days, but you were traveling for one, pretty much. It’s nice to get that extra day, especially this time of year. I think we can all appreciate that and be with our families.”
The change has to be particularly welcome for teams dealing with a full sickbay, like the Penguins. Pascal Dupuis joined the long list of hurt Penguins last night when he collided into Crosby during their 5-0 loss to Ottawa.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)