Dec 24, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has upheld the 15-game suspension given to Bruins forward Shawn Thornton for what NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan originally deemed an “act of retribution” on Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.
Click here for a PDF of Bettman’s ruling, in which the commissioner disagrees with the NHLPA’s contention that Thornton should have been suspended in the range of 10 to 12 games.
Wrote Bettman in his decision: “While I am prepared to accept Mr. Thornton’s testimony that at the time the whistle blew he had no specific intention of targeting Mr. Orpik (and may not have even realized he was on the ice), I believe it is very apparent from the video that given the scrum and his recognition of Mr. Orpik’s presence on the ice, Mr. Thornton recognized an opportunity to exact the retribution that was denied him when Mr. Orpik earlier had declined his invitation to fight. He casually skated up behind Mr. Orpik and took him down under circumstances in which the latter ‘never had a chance’ to defend himself. Interestingly (and disturbingly), Mr. Thornton testified at the hearing that he knew exactly what he was doing and that he was in complete control of his emotions.”
Bettman concluded, “In these circumstances, I have no trouble concluding that a very lengthy suspension is warranted and that the decision to impose a fifteen (15) game suspension is supported by clear and convincing evidence. In fact, in light of all the circumstances relating to the underlying conduct, it is certainly possible to argue for a more severe punishment, but I am comfortable relying on Mr. Shanahan’s judgment.”
Now that Bettman has upheld the suspension, Thornton has a week to decide if he wants to appeal to a neutral discipline arbitrator, whose decision would “be final and binding in all respects and not subject to review,” per the CBA.
The Bruins released the following statement on Bettman’s ruling:
“We respect the process including the ability to attend the hearing with Commissioner Bettman in support of Shawn. At this time, we will decline comment until the process is complete and Shawn has exhausted all rights available to him.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)