Dec 23, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Hockey Canada has learned that defenseman Mathew Dumba won’t be suspended for kneeing during a pre-World Junior tournament game against Sweden on Sunday, according to TSN.
The incident occurred in the second period when Dumba went knee-on-knee with Swedish forward Erik Karlsson in a 3-0 loss for Canada.
Dumba was given a five-minute major and game misconduct:
The Canadian team was concerned about the potential for a suspension, given fellow defenseman Griffin Reinhart will miss the first three games of the World Junior tourney stemming from a suspension levied last year, when he received four games for high-sticking U.S. forward Vincent Trocheck during the semifinals.
Reinhart went on to miss the bronze-medal game against Russia.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)