Varlamov accuser ‘saddened’ by decision to drop charges

Dec 23, 2013, 5:01 PM EST

Goalie Semyon Varlamov #1 of the Colorado Avalanche prepares to face the Nashville Predators at Pepsi Center on October 4, 2013 in Denver, Colorado. The Avalanche defeated the Predators 3-1.
(October 3, 2013 - Source: Doug Pensinger/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The woman who accused Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov of domestic abuse has released a statement to the Denver Post expressing her disappointment that the assault charges were dropped last week.

“I am saddened by the decision of the Office of the Denver District Attorney not to pursue the case,” Evgeniya Vavrinyuk said, “but I understand that it is difficult to have enough evidence to prove domestic violence cases. I maintain that all of my statements to the press and investigators have been truthful throughout the process.

“As I told police, I was badly beaten by Semyon in the early morning hours of October 29th and very scared, but decided that I had to report it as he had been abusive throughout our relationship and would not change. I left the residence that we shared with only my personal items, $10 in my pocket and nowhere to live. I was very much vulnerable, alone and confused in a foreign country where I don’t speak the language or have any family or support system. While Semyon continued to play hockey, his fans and his employer, the Colorado Avalanche, rallied to his support. Meanwhile, many people made derogatory remarks about me and several people profited from my dire circumstances, including those whom I unfortunately trusted.”

There’s more in the Post’s story, including some harsh words from Vavrinyuk for her former attorney.

Latest Posts
  1. Rangers take the positives out of OT loss to Red Wings

Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST

Cam Talbot AP

Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.

2. Video: Hammond, Senators win again

Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST

Ottawa Senators v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

What a roll he and the Sens are on.

3. Video: Iginla reaches 20-goal mark for 16th time in NHL career

Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST

Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche

He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.

4. Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST

Marek Zidlicky, Jesper Fast AP

What better way to make an impression on new teammates.

5. Video: Byfuglien leaves game with upper-body injury

Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Dustin Byfuglien Getty

Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.

6. Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley

Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST

MartinDaley

Also, for causing “significant injury.”

7. NHL GMs to address emergency goalie rule following Florida incident

Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya Getty Images

“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”

8. Julien talks up Bergeron as next Bruins captain

Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST

patricebergerongetty Getty Images

“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”

9. Get your game notes: Rangers at Wings, Rivalry Night

Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzogi1mdrmnjbmndc0odgwmzmyyzm5mmi3zdzjodlj AP

An Original Six matchup at the Joe.

10. Season over? Clarkson out 4-6 weeks with torn oblique muscle

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.

11. TVR to play this weekend for Rockford (AHL)

Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST

Trevor van Riemsdyk Getty Images

‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.

Reactions from NHL trade deadline