Varlamov accuser ‘saddened’ by decision to drop charges

Dec 23, 2013, 5:01 PM EST

Goalie Semyon Varlamov #1 of the Colorado Avalanche prepares to face the Nashville Predators at Pepsi Center on October 4, 2013 in Denver, Colorado. The Avalanche defeated the Predators 3-1.
(October 3, 2013 - Source: Doug Pensinger/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The woman who accused Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov of domestic abuse has released a statement to the Denver Post expressing her disappointment that the assault charges were dropped last week.

“I am saddened by the decision of the Office of the Denver District Attorney not to pursue the case,” Evgeniya Vavrinyuk said, “but I understand that it is difficult to have enough evidence to prove domestic violence cases. I maintain that all of my statements to the press and investigators have been truthful throughout the process.

“As I told police, I was badly beaten by Semyon in the early morning hours of October 29th and very scared, but decided that I had to report it as he had been abusive throughout our relationship and would not change. I left the residence that we shared with only my personal items, $10 in my pocket and nowhere to live. I was very much vulnerable, alone and confused in a foreign country where I don’t speak the language or have any family or support system. While Semyon continued to play hockey, his fans and his employer, the Colorado Avalanche, rallied to his support. Meanwhile, many people made derogatory remarks about me and several people profited from my dire circumstances, including those whom I unfortunately trusted.”

There’s more in the Post’s story, including some harsh words from Vavrinyuk for her former attorney.

1. seanb20124 - Dec 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

In this era of PC, my guess is no prosecutor would shy away from prosecuting this man. Must have known she was full of it.

• RoseTintedVisor - Dec 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

in this era of idiocy, my guess is no knuckle draggers would realize how often women in domestic violence or sexual assault cases are discredited and shamed.

• bcsteele - Dec 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Well said…

• devilsarethebest - Dec 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM

It’s because in America, an improper look will get you a date in court, so judges have learnt to be wary of such cases. Sucks a lot for those that were actually abused.

• 950003cups - Dec 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Too many bad apples ruined it for the bunch. I still believe the woman. She was unfortunate enough to find a sneaky greedy lawyer who profited with interviewers.

• alicesrightfootesq - Dec 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Hey Jameis! I did not know you were a hockey fan.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM

She stands by her story, which today goes like…….

3. devilsarethebest - Dec 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM

For me it’s like this. This girl wants $$$ out of him so she decides to use a claim that’s used all too often. The judge, who sits the whole day listening to woman after woman come in and say the same exact thing,
    already knows what’s going on. And all you Varlamov accusers can suck it.

• joey4id - Dec 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM

How can you assert your BS story? Are you a women beater?

• devilsarethebest - Dec 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM

So since I said she made up a story to get money out of him I’m a woman beater? OK, I didn’t know that’s how it works on the internet.

• joey4id - Dec 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

And….. that’s my point. Thank you. If you can assert she did it for the money without any facts then anyone can assert anything about you.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Dec 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Devils, I know reading is hard, but no judge ruled in this case. It was the prosecutors office that decided not to pursue the case due to the difficulties of proving such matters. False accusations do happen, but are rare. Men abusing women and getting away with it, especially when wealthy, is much more common.

• devilsarethebest - Dec 23, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Did you know there are 700,000 false domestic violence cases reported a year in America? I wouldn’t call that rare. But since prosecutors are known not to give criminal charges for it, everyone claims it without fear of retribution.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Dec 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Hey Devils, if you are going to invent some statistics, at least invent a pretend source for them.

• devilsarethebest - Dec 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Oh sure, here you go.

• joey4id - Dec 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Oh! so now you dish out some facts. Here are a couple which you seem to have omitted.;
      An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner every year.

85% of domestic violence victims are women.

Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police.

Stick to hockey buddy.

4. jacketsfan7 - Dec 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Having done a report on this she said they’ve had 5 run-ins and all were due to alcohol

5. markelavs123 - Dec 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Glad that’s over with

6. govtminion - Dec 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I believe something happened, and I hope he learned a lesson from this… but…

I’m not saying she’s lying. I don’t think she is. But… if she had been ‘badly beaten’, wouldn’t her injuries have been sufficient enough to count as evidence? Wouldn’t the police have photographed her bruises and used that as evidence?

I feel like whatever happened here was legitimate, and he likely did do something to her, but it seems like this may have been exaggerated to some extent. Regardless, we’ll never know- the old saying is three sides to every argument, and it seems there’s no way now to ever find that third option.

• 950003cups - Dec 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Unfortunately as I said above, too many bad apples ruined it for the bunch. Many cases have been discovered where women had either had a friend hit them, or had rammed their heads and faces in to objects to show bruises. Several men have gone to jail for those false claims, and have sued the city for false imprisonment when certain pieces of evidence were ignored. In one case the man was sentenced to jail time when the judge, at the time, ignored factual evidence of the man not being home at the time of the supposed attack. The ignored evidence was that the man was pulled over and arrested for unpaid parking tickets. The 911 call was placed while the man was in handcuffs in the back seat of the police car. So, now the prosecutor has to prove that the woman didn’t abuse herself, or have someone else do it. Or if she had an altercation with someone else prior to that.

7. mclovinhockey - Dec 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM

As someone who lives with two victims of domestic violence, I am not afraid to say, if I ever see the guy who physically assaulted them, I will prob end up in jail for murder, at minimum for assault. Then again, some part of me feels like I should be the bigger man and not stoop to that level. So who knows. All I can say is sergi seems to be a violent drunk, and if it’s true I hope he gets what’s coming to him, but he should just stay away from alcohol for the rest of his life.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches