Dec 23, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
A frustrated Dallas Eakins met with the Edmonton media this morning to discuss his team’s six-game losing streak that culminated Saturday with a 6-0 loss to St. Louis on home ice.
Actually, check that. The losing streak really culminated with an Oilers fan throwing his jersey on the ice after said loss to the Blues. And Eakins — never afraid to talk — had some scathing words for that fan.
“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins. “We don’t want that here.”
He added: “For some fan to show us all that he quit, he’s done, he threw in the towel, I think that says volumes about the individual. I don’t believe this city was built on people like that.”
That fan, by the way, was interviewed by the Edmonton Sun. And it doesn’t sound like he’s quitting on the team at all; more like making a statement about the way the Oilers have performed this season.
“I just felt I had to do something,” said 29-year-old Curtis Goyetche.
“I was just fed up. Frustrated. I was just being a passionate fan making my own statement, I guess. It just happened.”
It’s hard to blame him for being fed up. This was supposed to be the season the Oilers emerged out of the rebuild and made an honest run at a playoff spot. To put the team over the hump, the club hired Eakins, and did so with much fanfare. He was supposed to be the kind of coach who knew how to get the most out of his players, who keyed in on what made them tick and exploited that.
So far, all the talk has amounted to is an 11-24-3 record, good for dead last in the Western Conference, seven points back of second-to-last Calgary.
“I understand the booing,” said Eakins. “It comes when you’re not playing well and you’re not producing the results. Obviously there’s been losing going on for quite some time in the past, so I firmly respect that. In regards to [whoever] threw the sweater on the ice, that’s about as bad as it gets for me. I have great sympathy, I understand, I respect our fans, but that’s a bunch of bull crap to me.”
PS — here’s what Eakins said when he was hired: “In pro sports, winning is the bottom line.”
Related: Under Pressure: Dallas Eakins
Image via @hockeymotto
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
Seriously, this is pretty harsh.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
He’s appeared in 737 consecutive games.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Sunday’s starting goalies.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
He set up Tyler Seguin’s breakaway goal.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
Good luck with that.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
He shared the evidence and a boatload of hashtags.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
His twin Henrik will play his 1,031st.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
The kind of pass you’d don a mullet wig for.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:33 AM EST
The Syracuse Crunch and Utica Comets drew more than 30,000 fans.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Washington lost out on a chance for three straight wins.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)