Dec 23, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
A frustrated Dallas Eakins met with the Edmonton media this morning to discuss his team’s six-game losing streak that culminated Saturday with a 6-0 loss to St. Louis on home ice.
Actually, check that. The losing streak really culminated with an Oilers fan throwing his jersey on the ice after said loss to the Blues. And Eakins — never afraid to talk — had some scathing words for that fan.
“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins. “We don’t want that here.”
He added: “For some fan to show us all that he quit, he’s done, he threw in the towel, I think that says volumes about the individual. I don’t believe this city was built on people like that.”
That fan, by the way, was interviewed by the Edmonton Sun. And it doesn’t sound like he’s quitting on the team at all; more like making a statement about the way the Oilers have performed this season.
“I just felt I had to do something,” said 29-year-old Curtis Goyetche.
“I was just fed up. Frustrated. I was just being a passionate fan making my own statement, I guess. It just happened.”
It’s hard to blame him for being fed up. This was supposed to be the season the Oilers emerged out of the rebuild and made an honest run at a playoff spot. To put the team over the hump, the club hired Eakins, and did so with much fanfare. He was supposed to be the kind of coach who knew how to get the most out of his players, who keyed in on what made them tick and exploited that.
So far, all the talk has amounted to is an 11-24-3 record, good for dead last in the Western Conference, seven points back of second-to-last Calgary.
“I understand the booing,” said Eakins. “It comes when you’re not playing well and you’re not producing the results. Obviously there’s been losing going on for quite some time in the past, so I firmly respect that. In regards to [whoever] threw the sweater on the ice, that’s about as bad as it gets for me. I have great sympathy, I understand, I respect our fans, but that’s a bunch of bull crap to me.”
PS — here’s what Eakins said when he was hired: “In pro sports, winning is the bottom line.”
Related: Under Pressure: Dallas Eakins
Image via @hockeymotto
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 57
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (59)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)