Dec 23, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are having a good December. For proof, here are some bullet points:
— They’re 9-1-0, with the only loss coming in Chicago after they’d play the night before in Ottawa. Which is to say, no shame there.
— They’ve outscored their opponent by a score of 32-13.
— Back-up (to the back-up) goalie Martin Jones (8-0-0) has three shutouts, with a 0.98 goals-against average and .966 save percentage. The 23-year-old has also allowed his team to win games it didn’t necessarily deserve to win, like on Dec. 11 against Toronto.
— Among the teams Los Angeles has beaten this month, some good ones: St. Louis, Anaheim, San Jose, and Colorado.
And here’s the crazy part — the Kings aren’t even that satisfied.
“I think we’re on the right track,” said Anze Kopitar, per LA Kings Insider. “Is our game as sharp as it can be? Probably not. But we’re collecting points, and that’s what it is this time of the year. You have to collect points, even though maybe you’re not playing the best hockey. The way this Pacific Division has been going, you lose a couple, you fall back in a pretty big way, so we just want to keep on going, keep plugging away, and we’ve done a pretty good job with that.”
L.A. will keep “plugging away” tonight when its hosts the Stars in its last game before the Christmas break.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)