Dec 23, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are having a good December. For proof, here are some bullet points:
— They’re 9-1-0, with the only loss coming in Chicago after they’d play the night before in Ottawa. Which is to say, no shame there.
— They’ve outscored their opponent by a score of 32-13.
— Back-up (to the back-up) goalie Martin Jones (8-0-0) has three shutouts, with a 0.98 goals-against average and .966 save percentage. The 23-year-old has also allowed his team to win games it didn’t necessarily deserve to win, like on Dec. 11 against Toronto.
— Among the teams Los Angeles has beaten this month, some good ones: St. Louis, Anaheim, San Jose, and Colorado.
And here’s the crazy part — the Kings aren’t even that satisfied.
“I think we’re on the right track,” said Anze Kopitar, per LA Kings Insider. “Is our game as sharp as it can be? Probably not. But we’re collecting points, and that’s what it is this time of the year. You have to collect points, even though maybe you’re not playing the best hockey. The way this Pacific Division has been going, you lose a couple, you fall back in a pretty big way, so we just want to keep on going, keep plugging away, and we’ve done a pretty good job with that.”
L.A. will keep “plugging away” tonight when its hosts the Stars in its last game before the Christmas break.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)