Dec 23, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are having a good December. For proof, here are some bullet points:
— They’re 9-1-0, with the only loss coming in Chicago after they’d play the night before in Ottawa. Which is to say, no shame there.
— They’ve outscored their opponent by a score of 32-13.
— Back-up (to the back-up) goalie Martin Jones (8-0-0) has three shutouts, with a 0.98 goals-against average and .966 save percentage. The 23-year-old has also allowed his team to win games it didn’t necessarily deserve to win, like on Dec. 11 against Toronto.
— Among the teams Los Angeles has beaten this month, some good ones: St. Louis, Anaheim, San Jose, and Colorado.
And here’s the crazy part — the Kings aren’t even that satisfied.
“I think we’re on the right track,” said Anze Kopitar, per LA Kings Insider. “Is our game as sharp as it can be? Probably not. But we’re collecting points, and that’s what it is this time of the year. You have to collect points, even though maybe you’re not playing the best hockey. The way this Pacific Division has been going, you lose a couple, you fall back in a pretty big way, so we just want to keep on going, keep plugging away, and we’ve done a pretty good job with that.”
L.A. will keep “plugging away” tonight when its hosts the Stars in its last game before the Christmas break.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)